Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fibre optic network
Just read this interesting article by hi-fi journalist Andrew Everard about how he upgraded his network using fibre optic cabling. He says that it's the best improvement that he's made to his system in ages.

http://andreweverard.com/2015/06/08/high...ded-fibre/

Probably not something I will try yet - I still need to sort out my source.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(09-Jun-2015, 21:00)PhilP Wrote: Just read this interesting article by hi-fi journalist Andrew Everard about how he upgraded his network using fibre optic cabling. He says that it's the best improvement that he's made to his system in ages.

Fascinating stuff. Just shows how everything matters in the digital domain. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(10-Jun-2015, 10:31)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(09-Jun-2015, 21:00)PhilP Wrote: Just read this interesting article by hi-fi journalist Andrew Everard about how he upgraded his network using fibre optic cabling. He says that it's the best improvement that he's made to his system in ages.

Fascinating stuff. Just shows how everything matters in the digital domain. 

Guillaume

So who is going to be first to try AIR Fibre Optic Ethernet?
Agentsmith was the first (at least known to this forum)!! Smile Almost exactly one year ago he opened a topic: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=68&pid=482

The 'tweak' is on my list as well, I already have a provisional shopping list. With this I can isolate my PC based music server using current network hardware (switches).

2 x TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter MC220L €30/piece
2 x CISCO GLC-SX-MM Mini GBIC €9/piece (used!!)
1 x 5m LC-LC OM3/OM4 multi mode fiber optic cable €15

If people are thinking about using a FMC directly connected to the Devialet, be careful to order a 100Mbit one as the NIC inside the Devialet is limited to that speed.

There are also two active topics currently on CA for those interested in more info/ideas:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-ne...tion-4265/
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-ne...ons-24641/
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Damn, I just couldn't help myself, just ordered the cables (included a 0,5m shielded CAT7 cable as well to connect the FMC to the music server) and FMC's. Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Jun-2015, 17:57)Antoine Wrote: Damn, I just couldn't help myself, just ordered the cables and FMC's. Wink

Good for you.

I was the complete idiot that wired my network with AQ carbon off the spool! Not to mention Diamonds at both ends, upgraded routers, switches etc.

If I go down the Melco route then the whole network thing would have been for nought, as it it will effectively replace the whole thing and either feed my d1 totaldac or Devialet directly.

This hobby...   Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi Guillaume, well it was you (together with some others) who indirectly brought the excellent AQ Diamond to me as well. Smile As I changed to USB I sold the Diamond but it was an expensive but excellent cable.

It could be that the AQ cables still are better/give a better result than the fiber optics alone. Also although one uses a FMC/optical cables you still need a UTP cable to connect the FMC to the device so perhaps it's not all "wasted". I think the old cliché is true again: YMMV and it should be tried in one's own system. Smile

To conclude this post; the FMC's have to be powered since they are active devices. They usually (always?) come with switch mode power supplies (SMPS) which at least I don't want so I'll have to find a suitable LPSU as well giving even more clutter.

The Netherlands
And yes, this hobby! Big Grin We all drive each other crazy at times. And especially this computer audio/streaming area is developing so quickly that I now think one should be willing to write off investments as the ideas of what is best/the best approach change so often. Bleeding edge this all is! Wink

The Netherlands
(10-Jun-2015, 18:01)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(10-Jun-2015, 17:57)Antoine Wrote: Damn, I just couldn't help myself, just ordered the cables and FMC's. Wink

Good for you.

I was the complete idiot that wired my network with AQ carbon off the spool! Not to mention Diamonds at both ends, upgraded routers, switches etc.

If I go down the Melco route then the whole network thing would have been for nought, as it it will effectively replace the whole thing and either feed my d1 totaldac or Devialet directly.

This hobby...   Big Grin

Guillaume

And you may not need the Entreq boxes either  Angel
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)