Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally a white power cable with Gold phantom
I preordered mine in France - should be out very soon - end of july according to my local store.
The sales guy said the gold sounded incredibly good ... and very close to my D200, that wasn't the case with silvers.

I think the downgrade in sound will be very marginal when compared to the D200.
However i see other advantages (my tv will sound better, phantoms are easier to operate, AirPlay is integrated finally, the looks, etc....)
(10-Jul-2016, 09:42)Olivier4444 Wrote: I preordered mine in France - should be out very soon - end of july according to my local store.
The sales guy said the gold sounded incredibly good ...  and very close to my D200, that wasn't the case with silvers.

However i see other advantages (my tv will sound better, phantoms are easier to operate, AirPlay is integrated finally, the looks, etc....)

What speakers do you use with your D200?
(10-Jul-2016, 19:03)Toni Wrote:
(10-Jul-2016, 09:42)Olivier4444 Wrote: I preordered mine in France - should be out very soon - end of july according to my local store.
The sales guy said the gold sounded incredibly good ...  and very close to my D200, that wasn't the case with silvers.

Waterfall Audio Victoria Evo... which delivered really impressive sound with SamV2 (of course there are better speakers but these worked great).
The thing i like about phantoms is that you can more easily upgrade/update your system than with the expert line + a pair of speakers....
(11-Jul-2016, 08:02)Olivier4444 Wrote:
(10-Jul-2016, 19:03)Toni Wrote:

Waterfall Audio Victoria Evo... which delivered really impressive sound with SamV2 (of course there are better speakers but these worked great).
The thing i like about phantoms is that you can more easily upgrade/update your system than with the expert line + a pair of speakers....

I always wanted a pair of them glass speakers. They look amazing
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(08-Jul-2016, 22:35)MountainGuy Wrote: I'd say whether D200 vs Phantom Gold is downscaling or upgrade depends on the speaker one runs with the D200....Smile

From my own personal testing with a Devialet 200 + pair of KEF Reference 1 Speakers (roughly £4k). A pair of Silver Phantoms will wipe the floor with most speakers in their price class and a lot of speakers above their price class.

Treble, midrange and imaging was close but KEF pulled away on that front. The transitions from treble to midrange seemed a little more abrupt on the Phantom however.

By all accounts the Gold Phantom improves on precisely midrange and treble. In addition a firmware update will apparently bring some of the Gold's new acoustic improvements to the Silver and White Phantoms.

If all the Gold's promise holds true then I wouldn't be surprised if a pair of Gold's push into KEF Blade 2 territory (£15k a pair without amplification). I personally believe the Gold's might end up being a watershed moment with premium HiFi having to come back down to saner pricing levels. It's funny because I suspect the Phantom will impact sales of the Expert series a fair bit too, but guess it's better to compete against your own products than to have someone else compete against you.

A lot of snobbery against the Phantoms in the HiFi press and to a lesser extent on the forums. If and when Devialet sort out Spark and get the whole shebang working smoothly it'll be time for the other audio companies to duck and cover.
(12-Jul-2016, 16:33)dogbait Wrote:
(08-Jul-2016, 22:35)MountainGuy Wrote: I'd say whether D200 vs Phantom Gold is downscaling or upgrade depends on the speaker one runs with the D200....Smile

From my own personal testing with a Devialet 200 + pair of KEF Reference 1 Speakers (roughly £4k). A pair of Silver Phantoms will wipe the floor with most speakers in their price class and a lot of speakers above their price class.

Treble, midrange and imaging was close but KEF pulled away on that front. The transitions from treble to midrange seemed a little more abrupt on the Phantom however.

By all accounts the Gold Phantom improves on precisely midrange and treble. In addition a firmware update will apparently bring some of the Gold's new acoustic improvements to the Silver and White Phantoms.

If all the Gold's promise holds true then I wouldn't be surprised if a pair of Gold's push into KEF Blade 2 territory (£15k a pair without amplification). I personally believe the Gold's might end up being a watershed moment with premium HiFi having to come back down to saner pricing levels. It's funny because I suspect the Phantom will impact sales of the Expert series a fair bit too, but guess it's better to compete against your own products than to have someone else compete against you.

A lot of snobbery against the Phantoms in the HiFi press and to a lesser extent on the forums. If and when Devialet sort out Spark and get the whole shebang working smoothly it'll be time for the other audio companies to duck and cover.

I  think the same as you! +1 !!!!
(12-Jul-2016, 16:33)dogbait Wrote: [...] By all accounts the Gold Phantom improves on precisely midrange and treble. In addition a firmware update will apparently bring some of the Gold's new acoustic improvements to the Silver and White Phantoms.

[...] If and when Devialet sort Spark and get the whole shebang working smoothly it'll be time for the other audio companies to duck and cover.

My guess is that improved DSP settings would impact the sound far more greatly than the improved hardware, that is if Devialet wanted to push those limits further ...
That said, the white cable is definitely an improvement :-)
(12-Jul-2016, 16:33)dogbait Wrote:

My thoughts too.  I believe the Gold will fulfill Phantom's initial promise to outperform larger and most costly systems which are acknowledged to offer high 'value'.
I still think that they missed a "Golden" (see what i did there?) opportunity by not puting a pair of analogue phono inputs on the rear to be used with conventional Preamps.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(13-Jul-2016, 17:59)Silvertouran Wrote: I still think that they missed a "Golden" (see what i did there?) opportunity by not puting a pair of analogue phono inputs on the rear to be used with conventional Preamps.

The Super Duper Dialog MK 2 will probably have analogue inputs. Pretty please Devialet! Smile
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage