Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally ready to buy - but should I wait?
I'm ready to buy a pair of Golds to go either side of my TV, on the oak Tree stands. I have Reactors there now on Legs - the Golds will overlap the project screen by a few cm, but I think it will still look cool. And I can move the Reactors up to my office to use with my computer.

Question is - these have been out for a while. It's a big amount of money to spend, so am I better to wait in case there's a new version any time soon?
(27-Oct-2020, 00:59)booshtukka Wrote: I'm ready to buy a pair of Golds to go either side of my TV, on the oak Tree stands. I have Reactors there now on Legs - the Golds will overlap the project screen by a few cm, but I think it will still look cool. And I can move the Reactors up to my office to use with my computer.

Question is - these have been out for a while. It's a big amount of money to spend, so am I better to wait in case there's a new version any time soon?
Your guess is as good as anyone's. Go for the Gold, it sounds amazing and it's really good value for money, even if a Diamond version is released in 6 days/months/years.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Argh. They haven't been updated since 2016! I really want a Devialet supported (i.e. not a thousand Dante boxes hacked together) surround solution. 2 golds + 2 reactors would be pretty amazing!
Well that's not correct.
I think that they updated late 2018 hardware wise.
Second the app is consistently updating lately so the speakers are working pretty good .
Now don't get to excited there no new stuff heading our way like airplay2 or roon ready.

But as i think of traditional speakers they don't update ever...so...
That’s not necessarily true...
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
And not necessarily a lie.
The Facts speak for themselves.
@booshtukka , the question you should ask yourself is do they do now what I want them to do. If that question gets answered with yes, then buy them. If the answer is no, then you can either buy them anyway and wait for an update that might never come or not buy them and wait for an upgrade that might never come either but at least you haven't wasted your money.

Or, if you're lucky, a new model with all the feels and whistles that you want comes out next week and you'll be happy as Larry.

What you should know by now is not to by something in the hope it will be updated to what you want. That's just not how it works (most of the time)
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Oct-2020, 22:35)eladeb Wrote: And not necessarily a lie.
The Facts speak for themselves.

From what I’m hearing RAAT is very close and AirPlay2 is being worked on. Once those protocols land, it will not be too little, but definitely quite a bit late.
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
(27-Oct-2020, 00:59)booshtukka Wrote: I'm ready to buy a pair of Golds to go either side of my TV, on the oak Tree stands. I have Reactors there now on Legs - the Golds will overlap the project screen by a few cm, but I think it will still look cool. And I can move the Reactors up to my office to use with my computer.

Are you sure overlapping the screen is acceptable to you? It would annoy me..
Devialet 220 pro expert; Focal 1028 Be; Rega RP6; Ortofon Quintet Black
(28-Oct-2020, 08:13)Out of Gum Wrote: Are you sure overlapping the screen is acceptable to you? It would annoy me..

There is a big screen TV behind the projector screen that I usually use, so most of the time it wouldn't be an issue. I believe the Trees are best for sound quality?