Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Golds with turntables hum & buzz
Hi,

I absolutely love my Phantom Golds but to make them the perfect speakers for me I really need to get my Turntable hooked up to a satisfactory level.

I have a Technics SL-1200 MK2 that has had new leads fitted and is in perfect working order but I just can't get rid of the background hum/buzz when going over about 65 on the volume with the Phantoms.

I've got the turntable routed in to a Pro-ject Optical E box that is both the phono stage and the optical out in to the Phantoms.

I've also tried a Pro-ject Essential III turntable with optical out straight in to the Phantoms with similar results.

Has anybody managed to get a clean signal up to about 90 on the volume with any turntable setups? It's the only thing holding me back from keeping these Phantoms forever!

If there is a magic box out there or something that can make this work flawlessly?

It's a shame to have such an amazing sound spoilt by and annoying tone in the background. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sounds like an earthing issue which is not uncommon with TT’s or phono stages.
(27-Mar-2019, 00:31)Rodrat2 Wrote: Sounds like an earthing issue which is not uncommon with TT’s or phono stages.

Yes, it's definitely something to do with the Technics Turntable but nothing I can seem to fix. I've just tried a new Phono stage - a Project PhonoBox DS2 with optical out and setting the gain low has eliminated it whilst still being able to get enough volume out.

The only issue I'm having now is 192 sample rate doesn't seem to work through the dialogue - is this correct? 48 and 96 work fine.
Are your turntable and phono amp grounded?