Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 7.1.3 to 10.1.0, do I need more?
Hello Friends

As you may have noticed I have been away for such a long time due to work/life obligations. Not only away from the forum but I was away from my system as well. and man it feels good to be back!

In the process, unfortunately my system was so neglected that I did not even have time to update its firmware and I could not believe when I realized that my D400 was still on firmware 7.1.3!

Today I got my act together and upgraded the firmware to version 10.1.0 along with new configuration files. and boy oh boy did the sound improve! I do not want to exaggerate, but my D400 is unmistakably better now! It is more open and has better control on lower frequencies like never before. I honestly believe now that I was doing myself a big disfavor by not upgrading the firmware a long time ago. 

Actually, the system now with FW 10.1.0 sounds several notches above FW 7.1.3 to the point it makes me wonder what would I get in terms of sound quality (and not any additional functionality or features) if I upgrade to Expert Pro with CI? Also what is the risk of any potential issues related to CI bugs? or is that sorted out?

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(27-Apr-2018, 10:03)amabrok Wrote: Hello Friends

As you may have noticed I have been away for such a long time due to work/life obligations. Not only away from the forum but I was away from my system as well. and man it feels good to be back!

In the process, unfortunately my system was so neglected that I did not even have time to update its firmware and I could not believe when I realized that my D400 was still on firmware 7.1.3!

Today I got my act together and upgraded the firmware to version 10.1.0 along with new configuration files. and boy oh boy did the sound improve! I do not want to exaggerate, but my D400 is unmistakably better now! It is more open and has better control on lower frequencies like never before. I honestly believe now that I was doing myself a big disfavor by not upgrading the firmware a long time ago. 

Actually, the system now with FW 10.1.0 sounds several notches above FW 7.1.3 to the point it makes me wonder what would I get in terms of sound quality (and not any additional functionality or features) if I upgrade to Expert Pro with CI? Also what is the risk of any potential issues related to CI bugs? or is that sorted out?

Thanks!
Hi amabrok, nice to see you back.
I think you would appreciate the improvements in SQ that having your amps upgraded to Pro would bring. Soundstage, placement of different instruments and air around those instruments has improved, as has bass extension and control, treble purity, midrange clarity etc. All of the improvements you have noticed going from 7.1.3 to 10.1.0, you will notice even more with the Pro upgrade.
The CI upgrade is a bit more difficult to answer. It depends which inputs you intend to use. I use phono inputs, Ethernet and AES/EBU without any problems at all, but there are some on the forum that have had problems.
I think it would be worth going for the CI upgrade though. Any problems that you might have should be ironed out with the next firmware upgrade.
Hopefully!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(27-Apr-2018, 10:23)Axel Wrote:
(27-Apr-2018, 10:03)amabrok Wrote: Hello Friends

Thanks!
Hi amabrok, nice to see you back.
I think you would appreciate the improvements in SQ that having your amps upgraded to Pro would bring. Soundstage, placement of different instruments and air around those instruments has improved, as has bass extension and control, treble purity, midrange clarity etc. All of the improvements you have noticed going from 7.1.3 to 10.1.0, you will notice even more with the Pro upgrade.
The CI upgrade is a bit more difficult to answer. It depends which inputs you intend to use. I use phono inputs, Ethernet and AES/EBU without any problems at all, but there are some on the forum that have had problems.
I think it would be worth going for the CI upgrade though. Any problems that you might have should be ironed out with the next firmware upgrade.
Hopefully!
Thanks Axel

I mainly rely on the USB connection which I have heard here on the forum that it has ideally improved a lot with CI upgrade. Would be another reason to upgrade I guess.

It was really a very pleasant surprise today after the upgrade. Which is encouraging me, to say the least, to seriously consider the upgrade to the Expert Pro with CI

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
Speaking of which, Devialet seems to be very busy with CI upgrades so much so that any reference to upgrade from Expert to Expert Pro has simply vanished off their website!

Any idea where did the link go?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Dubai, UAE
Salam amabrok, it is good to have you back!

I was interested in your comment regarding the improvement you have perceived from going from 7.1.3 to 10.1.0. The point here is that there is a proportion of Expert users that claim 7.1.3 (or 7.1.3beta) was (and still is) the best sounding firmware. Not everyone agrees, and for me I preferred 8, 9, and then 10 the best. What I would say is that the upgrade from Expert to Pro is an order of magnitude bigger than that yielded by a firmware change.

So is the Pro better? I would say it is, but there is no need to take just my view, let's have a vote!

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3761

I think the result of the above poll fairly compelling. Of course, since the vote we have now had the CI upgrade. This is an interesting one. Personally, I was optimistic that an integrated streamer board would offer a decent increase in sound quality. From what I hear, it has not. At a fundamental level the sound quality from the CI board is no better than was obtained from the Pro with AIR, so it is a bit disappointing in this regards. The good news is that the CI upgrade appears to have elevated the overall quality of the Pro, so everything sounds better. In other words, the CI Pro sounds better with an external streamer via AES/EBU, even fed analogue via vinyl. There is some speculation that this is due to new and improved clocks in the CI board. To be clear, not everyone has noticed this, so it is a relatively small improvement, but for me the CI equipped Pro sounds a little smoother and more realistic than the Pro, without any loss of resolution.

As for the upgrade scheme, this has been paused whilst the CI upgrade is in progress. There have been some reports that Devialet will re-start the Pro upgrade scheme later this year, but no official announcement. It may happen, it may not, and timing is anyone's guess with Devialet.

Regarding the upgrade. The upgrade price for the 400 was very similar to that for the much more expensive D800. There is good reason for this, as the internal electronics are very similar, and this is what gets upgraded. Now, I have no idea of the market or pricing in the UAE, but in Europe I know that it is possible to get discounts and deals on the Pro. In fact, I reckon it would be possible to get a part exchange deal that would be no more expensive, or even cheaper, than the upgrade cost. So for no more money than the upgrade, you could get a shiny brand new 440Pro with the CI board already installed. (It is included in new Pro's now) Maybe such a deal is not possible locally for you, I have no idea, but it would be worth making a few enquiries. Beware of dealers that might tempt you towards the 1000Pro though, it is easy to get carried away! (although the 1000Pro is rather good)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The upgrade programm will restart at July this year. Got the info from my dealer.
(27-Apr-2018, 12:51)Confused Wrote: Salam amabrok, it is good to have you back!

I was interested in your comment regarding the improvement you have perceived from going from 7.1.3 to 10.1.0.  The point here is that there is a proportion of Expert users that claim 7.1.3 (or 7.1.3beta) was (and still is) the best sounding firmware.  Not everyone agrees, and for me I preferred 8, 9, and then 10 the best.  What I would say is that the upgrade from Expert to Pro is an order of magnitude bigger than that yielded by a firmware change.

So is the Pro better?  I would say it is, but there is no need to take just my view, let's have a vote!

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3761

I think the result of the above poll fairly compelling.  Of course, since the vote we have now had the CI upgrade.  This is an interesting one.  Personally, I was optimistic that an integrated streamer board would offer a decent increase in sound quality.  From what I hear, it has not.  At a fundamental level the sound quality from the CI board is no better than was obtained from the Pro with AIR, so it is a bit disappointing in this regards.  The good news is that the CI upgrade appears to have elevated the overall quality of the Pro, so everything sounds better.  In other words, the CI Pro sounds better with an external streamer via AES/EBU, even fed analogue via vinyl.  There is some speculation that this is due to new and improved clocks in the CI board.  To be clear, not everyone has noticed this, so it is a relatively small improvement, but for me the CI equipped Pro sounds a little smoother and more realistic than the Pro, without any loss of resolution.

As for the upgrade scheme, this has been paused whilst the CI upgrade is in progress.  There have been some reports that Devialet will re-start the Pro upgrade scheme later this year, but no official announcement.  It may happen, it may not, and timing is anyone's guess with Devialet.

Regarding the upgrade.  The upgrade price for the 400 was very similar to that for the much more expensive D800.  There is good reason for this, as the internal electronics are very similar, and this is what gets upgraded.  Now, I have no idea of the market or pricing in the UAE, but in Europe I know that it is possible to get discounts and deals on the Pro.  In fact, I reckon it would be possible to get a part exchange deal that would be no more expensive, or even cheaper, than the upgrade cost.  So for no more money than the upgrade, you could get a shiny brand new 440Pro with the CI board already installed.  (It is included in new Pro's now)  Maybe such a deal is not possible locally for you, I have no idea, but it would be worth making a few enquiries.  Beware of dealers that might tempt you towards the 1000Pro though, it is easy to get carried away!  (although the 1000Pro is rather good)

@Confused, thank you sir! as alway you enrich any thread you chip in to.

Your valuable opinion supported with the results of the poll is all the more encouraging.

Do you concur with other views that CI also brings benefits to USB connection? as you can tell i am all in with USB and that would definitely  be a big big plus.

To your other point, I am indeed exploring options locally here to trade in my D400 for a D440 Pro. So far no luck, but I will keep trying.

thanks

Dubai, UAE
(27-Apr-2018, 12:55)ghosttipper Wrote: The upgrade programm will restart at July this year. Got the info from my dealer.

thanks!

at least this gives me the confidence that i have a plan B in case my hunt for a local D440 fails

Dubai, UAE
(27-Apr-2018, 14:10)amabrok Wrote: Do you concur with other views that CI also brings benefits to USB connection? as you can tell i am all in with USB and that would definitely  be a big big plus.

I cannot comment on this one, since getting the CI upgrade I have not tried the USB input.  It is something I plan to try in the future.  Unfortunately, it just keeps moving down my ever increasing 'to do list'.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(27-Apr-2018, 14:34)Confused Wrote:
(27-Apr-2018, 14:10)amabrok Wrote: Do you concur with other views that CI also brings benefits to USB connection? as you can tell i am all in with USB and that would definitely  be a big big plus.

I cannot comment on this one, since getting the CI upgrade I have not tried the USB input.  It is something I plan to try in the future.  Unfortunately, it just keeps moving down my ever increasing 'to do list'.

I understand, especially with the level of testing and investigation you have with your Mutec / SOtM setup Smile

I will stay tuned though.

Dubai, UAE