Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Computer Audio system:Phantom/Dialog setup question
Hi folks,

I'm strongly considering replacing my aging CD-based hifi system with two white Phantoms and a Dialog later this year if an audition proves promising. (Apologies in advance if my questions sound silly but this will be my first adventure in computer audio and I'd like to maximize sound quality from the start.) 

I plan to run an ethernet connection from our router (Apple Time Capsule) upstairs to the Dialog downstairs where it and the Phantoms will live along side an iMac in the same downstairs room and serving as the system's sole wireless music source (4TB external HDD connected to this iMac via USB storing my ripped CDs using iTunes with files encoded in AIFF). 

Question #1: any suggestions to improve this minimalist setup from a hardware/sound quality perspective? 

Question #2: Does the Spark app switch off my internal iMac speakers so they don't "contaminate" the acoustic output from my Phantoms or turn off OS X's volume control so as not to degrade the digital signal sent to the Dialog? 

regards,

Dave
Hi Dave
The way Spark works is by sending the actual data file to Dialog which decodes it. Spark itself does not do much but serve as a gateway to the phantom. Spark application is not capable of playing audio file so the question of iMac speakers does not apply.

It will not mute it because it cant.

I don't see what else you can do to improve this setup. If you want to go fancy you can use USB output and noise filters then feed audio to dialog using optical cable. Some users here use that method because they don't like Spark app for whatever reason but that will defeat your minimalist setup theme.

Hope this helps.
That helps quite bit LK...thank you! If I understand you correctly the file would be transmitted direct to the Dialog effectively bypassing the Mac's DAC/amplifier/internal speakers altogether.

I've thought about using an optical feed but in the interest of keeping things simple as well the fact that most seem to find standard wifi data transmission to the Dialog sufficient, I'll stick with my minimalist plan.
(23-May-2016, 03:09)blackdogaudio Wrote: If I understand you correctly the file would be transmitted direct to the Dialog effectively bypassing the Mac's DAC/amplifier/internal speakers altogether.

Yes. Exactly.

There are other benefits of using optical. If you want to play any kind of media that spark doesn't support like videos - or stream content from the internet - you will need something like Apple tv or Airport Express though not limited to these. You can then airplay to that device and use optical output to phantom. This works very well. If you use this with iTunes for Mac you have the option to play the same music on your Phantom and your iMac at the same time. Though the setup is bit more complicated your user interface will be simplified. (but then again Phantom supports bluetooth but this MIGHT improve your sound quality)

Just like with bluetooth you will be able to stream any kind of audio and use any application from your iphone to phantom. 

Note - Phantom consumes a lot of power - even when not in use - 2 phantom and dialog consume about 50w when not being used. 

If your Phantom power source is not easily accessible - I would recommend using smart home switch from ihome or idevice (you can then use siri to turn your speaker on / turn your speaker off / turn your speaker off at a chosen time every day) I found this to work very well - it takes about 40 seconds for dialog to fire up get your speakers ready. I also noticed dialog runs very very hot so turning it off when not in use might be a good idea. 

Bonus - If you use Apple TV connected to the same network as your smart home switch - you will be able to turn your Phantom on and off from anywhere that has internet connection.
All the usual hifi good to do things still apply; mount the phantoms on good stands (I use branches), acoustically isolate/decouple the dialog, good clean filtered mains, good quality Ethernet cables (I use bluejeans). I really would like to use the USB on the dialog to send flac's and dsd streams over DoP via jriver but I cannot get an answer out of Devialet whether this will ever be enabled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(23-May-2016, 16:11)DSD Wrote: All the usual hifi good to do things still apply; mount the phantoms on good stands (I use branches), acoustically isolate/decouple the dialog, good clean filtered mains, good quality Ethernet cables (I use bluejeans). I really would like to use the USB on the dialog to send flac's and dsd streams over DoP via jriver but I cannot get an answer out of Devialet whether this will ever be enabled...

Since the DAC is build into each phantom you have a lot of leeway. Dialog communicates with the phantom at something like a million times a second so you can be sure if there is any missing packets it will get resend. 

Make sure your ethernet cables are shielded but that too isn't necessary for home environment though it will give you better signal electrically speaking. Having digital signal all the way up to inside the phantom pretty much makes this a HiFi system in a box.
(23-May-2016, 16:11)DSD Wrote: All the usual hifi good to do things still apply; mount the phantoms on good stands (I use branches), acoustically isolate/decouple the dialog, good clean filtered mains, good quality Ethernet cables (I use bluejeans). I really would like to use the USB on the dialog to send flac's and dsd streams over DoP via jriver but I cannot get an answer out of Devialet whether this will ever be enabled...

Don't use filtered mains, this give in a lot of situations problems
(23-May-2016, 14:10)littlekid440 Wrote: There are other benefits of using optical. If you want to play any kind of media that spark doesn't support like videos [...]

Well, Spark does support video files, it will of course only send the audio track to the Phantom(s) but it works. Big Grin
(23-May-2016, 14:10)littlekid440 Wrote:
(23-May-2016, 03:09)blackdogaudio Wrote: If I understand you correctly the file would be transmitted direct to the Dialog effectively bypassing the Mac's DAC/amplifier/internal speakers altogether.

Yes. Exactly.

There are other benefits of using optical. If you want to play any kind of media that spark doesn't support like videos - or stream content from the internet - you will need something like Apple tv or Airport Express though not limited to these. You can then airplay to that device and use optical output to phantom. This works very well. If you use this with iTunes for Mac you have the option to play the same music on your Phantom and your iMac at the same time. Though the setup is bit more complicated your user interface will be simplified. (but then again Phantom supports bluetooth but this MIGHT improve your sound quality)

Just like with bluetooth you will be able to stream any kind of audio and use any application from your iphone to phantom. 

Note - Phantom consumes a lot of power - even when not in use - 2 phantom and dialog consume about 50w when not being used. 

If your Phantom power source is not easily accessible - I would recommend using smart home switch from ihome or idevice (you can then use siri to turn your speaker on / turn your speaker off / turn your speaker off at a chosen time every day) I found this to work very well - it takes about 40 seconds for dialog to fire up get your speakers ready. I also noticed dialog runs very very hot so turning it off when not in use might be a good idea. 

Bonus - If you use Apple TV connected to the same network as your smart home switch - you will be able to turn your Phantom on and off from anywhere that has internet connection.

I have considered installing a large wall mounted TV in the music room at some point and would have no problem throwing an Apple TV into the mix.  

I had no idea power consumption was that high with the Phantoms on standby...thanks for the tip regarding a smart home switch and turning off the Dialog as well!
(23-May-2016, 17:00)Johnnydev Wrote:

Don't use filtered mains, this give in a lot of situations problems

Thanks for the tips DSD,

I've got an old pair of Linn Sara speaker stands with spikes which I'd planned to use if I don't go for branches. They're approx. 24 inches in height and spiked for a rigid coupling through the carpet into my concrete slab basement floor. I won't use the upper spikes to couple the Phantoms to the stand however as it sounds like they've got a defined point of contact with a rubber base built in by Devialet if I recall correctly. 

I'll probably sit about 9 feet away from the Phantoms with 8 feet of separation between them and probably a foot or two between them and the wall behind them with enough toe-in so the front drivers fire directly at me for a starting point in positioning unless you guys have a better suggestion.  

Mains quality shouldn't be a problem with four dedicated 20A AC lines available now in strategic locations around the room as my hifi moved over the years as equipment and furnishings changed. All hospital grade outlets, fasteners perfectly tight from outlets to breaker and the lines installed on the best sounding (least noisy) phase in my breaker box. 

regards,

Dave