Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subwoofer?
(11-Feb-2019, 05:34)Georgios Wrote: I’m guessing if I just don’t use SAM, I can still use high level connection?

Yes.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-Feb-2019, 05:34)Georgios Wrote: I’m guessing if I just don’t use SAM, I can still use high level connection?

You can.

I've got a separate HT system to my music system and I use 2 REL T9s in it. I've used it with both high and low level connections and found it easier to get a good balance between the REL or RELs (I've used both 1, now 2, at different times) using an AVR's automated setup system but you can get a good balance with the high level input with a bit of trial and effort,

REL advise that the 2 mistakes people make when trying to do a high level setup is to set the crossover frequency too high and the gain setting too low. My experience is that they're right. I'd actually start with the crossover setting on the REL set to it's lowest frequency. I know that sounds wrong and it may be but I started off by setting it at the specified -3dB point for my speakers and that was too high, way too high. You may have to raise it one step above the lowest setting, at most two, but if you start wherever you think you should start  you'll find yourself lowering it by more than 1 or 2 steps. Quicker to start from the bottom and work your way up in my view. As for the gain, don't be afraid to raise it. 

I used to have an app on my iPhone which included an octave band frequency spectrum display. I used to set it to the octave band display, play a pink noise source, and adjust the gain based on what the display showed. The app also had a third octave band display but that showed up the peaks and troughs caused by room modes too much and made things harder to assess. The octave band displayed gave a smoother looking response display and made adjusting the gain setting a lot easier. If you use pink noise be aware that a spectrum display will show the response falling as frequency increases. It's supposed to. Pink noise is equal energy per octave, not equal energy per frequency like white noise is, so pink noise shows the response sloping down with increasing frequency. If you're using pink noise and some sort of display remember that you're using it to balance the sub in below the speaker's bass response and to extend the overall low frequency response. Ignore the high frequency part of the display because it's not relevant.

Finally the REL will start rolling off above 20 Hz, especially if it's a T series REL. They can fill in the bass nicely but they aren't going to give you a flat response down to 20 Hz. Raising the gain too far in order to try and extend the bottom end of the REL will just cause problems higher up in the bass. You'll probably end up setting the gain higher than you think you should like I did but it still is possible to set it too high and that's not good.

Johnny Six said you can't use SAM. My inclination is to agree with him because whatever SAM does is also going to be passed to the sub via the high level input. Part of RELs argument for using the high level input is ensure both speaker and sub get a signal with the same sonic signature. Because I've never used a sub with my Devialet I don't know how using SAM will work with a sub and the high level connection but it might work. It's also possible it could depend on what speakers you're using and work better with some than others. I'd try it without and see if you can get a good result without first. It might be worthwhile playing around with SAM later but if you do note down the sub settings you've been using so it's easy to return to them if it doesn't work well when you use SAM. If you use SAM you're also going to have to experiment with the Devialet's setting for the SAM level and what you do with that may require adjustments to the settings on the REL, probably for gain more than crossover frequency.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
@David A , you make me look lazy. I thought 'yes' was a sufficient enough answer... Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-Feb-2019, 10:41)Pim Wrote: @David A , you make me look lazy. I thought 'yes' was a sufficient enough answer... Tongue

It was. It answered the question perfectly.

I just have some experience with RELs and they're not like a lot of other subs. The high level input doesn't involve a crossover for the speakers, its a low pass filter for the sub and you run the speakers full range blending the sub in below the speakers. I was a slow learner and it took me a long time to start to get a result I really liked. I figure I'm not going to be the only person who's a slow learner when it comes to using a REL so I try to provide some advice about them.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
David, thanks so much for the inputs.

I feel awkward to say I’m considering JL Audio subwoofers:p
I use a BK 400W down-firing sub and it does the job perfectly at a fraction of the cost of a REL. I had a REL S/2, I wanted a bit more power. BK used to make for REL.
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/X...-DF_WN.htm
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(12-Feb-2019, 01:29)Georgios Wrote: David, thanks so much for the inputs.

I feel awkward to say I’m considering JL Audio subwoofers:p

No need to feel awkward.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I have one Sunfire sub attached to each 400 unit. I found it very difficult well-nigh impossible to get the settings right (including correct phase) so I measured the system using REW software which I then used to create a convolution file which runs in JRiver - I am very happy with the result. A calibrated microphone is pretty important.
WTL TT / HP laptop (JRiver) / Devialet 400 / Marten Django / Crystal Cable

Sydney Australia
Guys, so just 120/130/140 need an extra board installed? Other higher model will have that preamp function by default?
Yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.