Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting optical cable to Phantoms and Tree Stand
Any tips on how to fit the optical cable please? I have never bothered to try because of the lack of space between the Phantom and the mains cable.
I want to try optical now though if anyone has a way to do this without a lot of swearing or dropping the Phantom!

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no experience with the tree stand, but it was very hard for me to fit the optical cable into the back of the silver phantom, when at the same time hanging it up, in the gecko-fitting on the wall. There is almost no room to operate at the back and I only had a short length of optical wire free from the wall.
I eventually used a very pointy tweezer, but it was so difficult, that my phantom has gone from something that was relatively easy to take down and with me, to something that is definitively a firm installation, which is a pity, given the design of the geckos, that allows for easy installation.
2 Silver Phantoms, 2 Reactor 600, 2 remotes, Dialog, Geckos, located in Denmark
you can put the phantom (fixed) on the Tree with the cables pulled out at the back. You can then insert the optical cable into its connector. If you also want to connect an ethernet cable, you can do that in the same way.
if everything is connected correctly, carefully insert the power supply.
Re connecting optical speaker or at the bottom of the stand - either way - its tricky both places.
To run all 3 through the tree stand you may need to do it in a specific order like run the optical and network first then the power, or some other combo. forgetting the order but recall I had to do it more than once to get it all to fit -- as you noted it pretty tight with all 3.

Connect the optical first. I don't have a better method than trial and error on the orientation. if it does not fit rotate it 90 degrees until it does.
the other two are easier to just plug in relatively speaking.

or use a dialog and you don't need to run the optical cable to the speaker. tree or gecko Smile

hth
Thanks for the comments. I will take the mains cable out at the weekend and try to get the optical cable to fit.

Worth a try to see if the sound improves over the UPnP connection I currently use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, make sure you get a good optical cable. The original cable that was part of my tree stand wasn’t able to do high resolution. Definitely worth testing with the speaker at higher resolutions before you feed it through the tree.

If you google a bit, you’ll see that optical was never really designed for what we now consider high-resolution music. The designs have been adapted, but apparently standards are a bit lacking.
Yes, that’s correct i use an audioquest diamond