Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix for Gold treble
hi. 

The high mid and treble has always been weak on Golds, and bass overwhelms everything. 

Has anyone found a way to stream an equalized signal from Spotify, Tidal etc please?

I would love to love my Phantoms but have never been able to do so because of this drastic imbalance.

Thank you in advance.
You can use the EQ in Spotify and use AirPlay. It doesn't work with Spotify Connect. Another solution is Roon if you use Tidal, Qobuz or local files. The night mode could also be kind of a fix. Have you tried a different placement of the speakers?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Most likely to do with your speaker placement. In a perfect room the phantoms frequency range are pretty much perfectly flat from 20-20000hz
Yeah I would say you need room correction to fix the specific bass freq that is “booming” in your room. When I had golds it was around 50hz and 70hz there was a massive peak. It’s amazing how bass boom will also affect all the mids and treble too.

Set up properly there is no way I would have described the mids and treble as anything other than magnificent Smile

When I bought a Dspeaker antimode it made it all sound so much clearer without the exaggerated bass caused by the room interaction.

It would have been hard to dial that down with a basic EQ app as I would have had to turn a massive portion of the bass freq right down.

I’m actually considering getting another pair - but the same as if I tried to cram a massive speaker like a B&W 800 into my small room - I wouldn’t consider it without room correction again to stop the bass bloat!

But as above you can indeed use Spotify EQ via Airplay
Another vote for the Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core. USB in and Toslink out. Quite ideal for Phantoms! It's got analog inputs too if you need that. Analog in on balanced XLR or single-ended RCA. Digital out on the Toslink SPDIF.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Could roon do the job instead of the antimode device?
Roon can of course do this. It has an excellent DSP section, but Roon has no automatic correction built in so you'll need some additional things to get it done. And there is a learning curve and some DIY involved. I don't know how good the correction in Anti-Mode is, but I'm sure it is much easier to use (and get decent results)  than many of the other solutions.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
But i think with a good mic and REW software you could get a better result with Roon. Ok it not easier but you have tutos to follow. And for same price you get extra features like managing music library.
(21-Apr-2021, 22:08)fabien44 Wrote: But i think with a good mic and REW software you could get a better result with Roon. Ok it not easier but you have tutos to follow. And for same price you get extra features like managing music library.

On Roon forum, there is a guide to use REW, all you need is a compatible mic. I'm waiting for mine and will play with room correction.
(21-Apr-2021, 22:08)fabien44 Wrote: But i think with a good mic and REW software you could get a better result with Roon. Ok it not easier but you have tutos to follow. And for same price you get extra features like managing music library.

I do all correction in Roon. Convolution filters made in Audiolense + some PEQ. Sounds good. Note that REW (and I think Dspeaker) only does amplitude (frequency response) correction while Audiolense (XO) also corrects the timing aspect.
Devialetless!