Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix for Gold treble
(21-Apr-2021, 16:57)AceOfBass Wrote: The high mid and treble has always been weak on Golds, and bass overwhelms everything. 

Can you please tell us more about your room, where you place the Golds and where you sit.  If possible, a sketch or a photo?  Also, do you have the Golds on stands?

The Golds should be treated like good stereo speakers on stands and positioned properly in room.
(22-Apr-2021, 10:45)ogs Wrote:
(21-Apr-2021, 22:08)fabien44 Wrote: But i think with a good mic and REW software you could get a better result with Roon. Ok it not easier but you have tutos to follow. And for same price you get extra features like managing music library.

I do all correction in Roon. Convolution filters made in Audiolense + some PEQ. Sounds good. Note that REW (and I think Dspeaker) only does amplitude (frequency response) correction while Audiolense (XO) also corrects the timing aspect.

So Audiolense is better than REW for room correction? Is there a tutorial with Roon?

Thanks
(22-Apr-2021, 12:23)fabien44 Wrote:
(22-Apr-2021, 10:45)ogs Wrote:
(21-Apr-2021, 22:08)fabien44 Wrote: But i think with a good mic and REW software you could get a better result with Roon. Ok it not easier but you have tutos to follow. And for same price you get extra features like managing music library.

I do all correction in Roon. Convolution filters made in Audiolense + some PEQ. Sounds good. Note that REW (and I think Dspeaker) only does amplitude (frequency response) correction while Audiolense (XO) also corrects the timing aspect.

So Audiolense is better than REW for room correction? Is there a tutorial with Roon?

Thanks

I prefer Audiolense, yes. Acourate is similar. Dirac also does time correction, is easier to use, but does not export filters so can not be used with a standard convolver (as in Roon, JRiver etc..)
I have not seen any specific tutorials for Audiolense and Roon, but Audiolense can save corrections as zip archive for Roon.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(21-Apr-2021, 18:21)Jamington2004 Wrote: Yeah I would say you need room correction to fix the specific bass freq that is “booming” in your room. When I had golds it was around 50hz and 70hz there was a massive peak. It’s amazing how bass boom will also affect all the mids and treble too.

Set up properly there is no way I would have described the mids and treble as anything other than magnificent Smile

When I bought a Dspeaker antimode it made it all sound so much clearer without the exaggerated bass caused by the room interaction.

It would have been hard to dial that down with a basic EQ app as I would have had to turn a massive portion of the bass freq right down.

I’m actually considering getting another pair - but the same as if I tried to cram a massive speaker like a B&W 800 into my small room - I wouldn’t consider it without room correction again to stop the bass bloat!

But as above you can indeed use Spotify EQ via Airplay

Thanks for your - and all the other - replies. It's not room dependent. I've used the Phantoms all over the house and I've owned a lot of real hifi over the years such as Spendors, Wilsons, B&W etc. Straight out of the box, the Golds were always bass heavy and imbalanced. I've auditioned Golds at my dealers too in sonically correct rooms. They're all the same. Listen to them vs a pair of £5-15k speakers side by side and you will see how limited the mid and treble is.
(22-Apr-2021, 11:27)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(21-Apr-2021, 16:57)AceOfBass Wrote: The high mid and treble has always been weak on Golds, and bass overwhelms everything. 

Can you please tell us more about your room, where you place the Golds and where you sit.  If possible, a sketch or a photo?  Also, do you have the Golds on stands?

The Golds should be treated like good stereo speakers on stands and positioned properly in room.

Oblong room 5m x 3.5m at the moment. 75 cm from back wall, and 60cm from side walls. Slightly toed in. On stands.
(22-Apr-2021, 17:01)AceOfBass Wrote:
(21-Apr-2021, 18:21)Jamington2004 Wrote: Yeah I would say you need room correction to fix the specific bass freq that is “booming” in your room. When I had golds it was around 50hz and 70hz there was a massive peak. It’s amazing how bass boom will also affect all the mids and treble too.

Set up properly there is no way I would have described the mids and treble as anything other than magnificent Smile

When I bought a Dspeaker antimode it made it all sound so much clearer without the exaggerated bass caused by the room interaction.

It would have been hard to dial that down with a basic EQ app as I would have had to turn a massive portion of the bass freq right down.

I’m actually considering getting another pair - but the same as if I tried to cram a massive speaker like a B&W 800 into my small room - I wouldn’t consider it without room correction again to stop the bass bloat!

But as above you can indeed use Spotify EQ via Airplay

Thanks for your - and all the other - replies. It's not room dependent. I've used the Phantoms all over the house and I've owned a lot of real hifi over the years such as Spendors, Wilsons, B&W etc. Straight out of the box, the Golds were always bass heavy and imbalanced. I've auditioned Golds at my dealers too in sonically correct rooms. They're all the same. Listen to them vs a pair of £5-15k speakers side by side and you will see how limited the mid and treble is.

Not sure why you’d think they’re imbalanced. Ultimately the ideal speaker to most is a speaker, with a frequency response perfectly flat or a response resembling the Harman curve. 
The Golds have a frequency response such that below 100hz there is a slight bump in output; not unlike many many other speakers which are multiple times the Golds price, above 100hz they are pretty much flat up to 24khz. 
So as I see it there are a few reasons why you might think the Golds lack in mids and highs. 

1. Room - The only way to eliminate this from being one of the reasons is to buy a measurement mic and take measurements. Until then it’s not possible to eliminate this from being an issue 
2. Source - Poor source = poor quality. Imo 320kbps is the absolute minimum for me. Furthermore you want to be using a lossless transmission protocol above 320kbps ie not Bluetooth. 
3. If by limited you mean the mids and treble lack space and depth then that’s a completely different issue which isn’t caused by the imbalance of frequencies.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair dos then - could just be you don’t like their sound Smile
(22-Apr-2021, 17:01)AceOfBass Wrote: Thanks for your - and all the other - replies. It's not room dependent. I've used the Phantoms all over the house and I've owned a lot of real hifi over the years such as Spendors, Wilsons, B&W etc. Straight out of the box, the Golds were always bass heavy and imbalanced. I've auditioned Golds at my dealers too in sonically correct rooms. They're all the same. Listen to them vs a pair of £5-15k speakers side by side and you will see how limited the mid and treble is.
It is clear that the Gold Phantoms are not to your taste. Nothing wrong with that, move them on and best wishes in your hunt for your next system...
(24-Apr-2021, 01:36)-Snoopy8 Wrote:
(22-Apr-2021, 17:01)AceOfBass Wrote: Thanks for your - and all the other - replies. It's not room dependent. I've used the Phantoms all over the house and I've owned a lot of real hifi over the years such as Spendors, Wilsons, B&W etc. Straight out of the box, the Golds were always bass heavy and imbalanced. I've auditioned Golds at my dealers too in sonically correct rooms. They're all the same. Listen to them vs a pair of £5-15k speakers side by side and you will see how limited the mid and treble is.
It is clear that the Gold Phantoms are not to your taste. Nothing wrong with that, move them on and best wishes in your hunt for your next system...

+1