Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found Gold with a Pair of Phantoms!
(24-Oct-2019, 07:54)Snoopy8 Wrote: ...
Using UPnP to connect to the Golds, with BubbleUPnP on a Samsung tablet controlling the music from a NAS. BubbleUPnP also provides access to Tidal.  Running convolution DSP using Minimserver on an Intel NUC, which took the sound quality up another level.
Hi Snoopy8,
I'm a complete noob at all this so please bear with me but what you have done looks to be exactly what I need.

When you say you use Bubble to control music from a NAS do you mean your NUC is the NAS as well as the music server and this Bubble contacts this Minimserver?(if that makes sense).

What operating system is running your NUC?

Thanks for any reply.
(04-Mar-2020, 12:03)kboley_uk Wrote: Hi Snoopy8,
I'm a complete noob at all this so please bear with me but what you have done looks to be exactly what I need.

When you say you use Bubble to control music from a NAS do you mean your NUC is the NAS as well as the music server and this Bubble contacts this Minimserver?(if that makes sense).

What operating system is running your NUC?

UPnP server: I chose MinimServer because it was stable and well supported. It does convolution room correction using its optional module called MinimStreamer.  Note that MinimStreamer will soon move to an initial license fee and annual subscription, a small amount that I will willingly pay.

The NUC can be substituted by a PC running Windows or Linux (many flavours) or a Mac. Or even a NAS.  Yes, it is possible to simplify and have the library and UPnP server in one box. I chose to have 2 separate boxes because I wanted the extra power of the NUC to run convolution.

Also, there are other UPnP server software, including Audirvana, JRiver, Plex, Synology & QNAP media players etc. etc.

UPnP controller: examples include BubbleUPnP, Hificast (both Android) and mConnect (iOS) run on phones and tablets to select and play the music. Some controllers can be used to select & setup streaming services like Tidal, Quboz.

That’s kind of similar to my own system.

I use a Synology NAS as my library connected to my Router with an ethernet cable.
My laptop is wireless to the router running JRiver.
I then use an app on my iPad called JRemote to control JRiver.
And finally the Jar of Cream for volume.
Nice and simple.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(05-Mar-2020, 10:37)Silvertouran Wrote: And finally the Jar of Cream for volume.
That was exactly what the better half called it!! Big Grin

My setup now looks like this. Just upgraded to DOS2, and running with an Uptone EtherRegen (reviewed here). Still delighted with my setup which has far exceeded my previous multi component, much more expensive system.