Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From D200 to D440 on JBL 4430
I use a D200 since the last 5 years on my system.

First in a passive setting on my JBL 4430. Working great.
Then went to active using the extraordinary settings of the Devialet Amps.

D200 used for the low section and other amps for the high. I did use for the High, Ncore, Kaneda, even a Phase Linear 700 and finally another D200.

But from the beginning, I prefer the Devialet for the Low section.

So end up with one D200 for each 15inch speaker and an amp inspire from Kaneda for the high.

The Devialets used as preamp/Dac/Crossover.
One mono amp for each 15inch is just WOW! I am sure that sounds effortless!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(08-Nov-2021, 23:12)renan Wrote: I use a D200 since the last 5 years on my system.

D200 used for the low section and other amps for the high. I did use for the High, Ncore, Kaneda, even a Phase Linear 700 and finally another D200.

So end up with one D200 for each 15inch speaker and an amp inspire from Kaneda for the high.

Hi,

I am very interested in your journey, I had seen systems made up of all Devialets being used for external crossovers but never a mix of another amp manufacturer.

I have a few questions, if that’s OK?

How do you configure D200 for external crossover, can you do it yourself or did Devialet assist you?

What speakers are you using and did you need to modify them at all?

I assume you need to use the volume control on the Kaneda separately to the D200?

Thanks
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
If I'm understanding correctly, this sort of configuration is possible just in the Configurator with no special help from Devialet.

You can set a low pass filter on the speaker outs and a high pass filter on the pre-outs, which can then feed into a separate power amp.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
Yep.

I have JBL 4345 and Devialet 1000 Pro.

At the moment I biamp with Devialet (2 x 250 Pro) speaker output but have also biamped from preout. I prefer to biamp with only Devialet. I use preout as sub out.

Lähetetty minun SM-G991B laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Thanks.

My speakers have 3 pairs of speaker posts ,bass, mid, high so I have some options but not sure how to get there.

I checked out the configurator (thanks Devianet) and can see where to make the changes but how do you work out the frequency cut-off, and the 1-4 filter order.

I have enough quality speaker cables and jumper to be able to experiment with D1000 Pro running bass/mid with a valve amp running the high, or D1000 Pro on bass duties with valve amp on mid/high.
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
Your speakers appear to be designed for tri-wiring or tri-amping. This means that the internal passive crossover is still engaged, even if you were to use 3 separate stereo amps or 6 mono.

This is distinct from an active setup, because in that scenario the amps are connected directly to the drivers, with no crossover in between. The advantage is that the losses and nonlinearities of the crossover are removed. However, it becomes absolutely critical that there is an active crossover before/within the amps and that your amp(s) powering the tweeter, and possibly also the mid, are correctly high-passing the signal. If the full power of bass were to reach the tweeter unfiltered, it would become an ex-tweeter very quickly.

So, to experiment, you don't need to set filters at all on the Expert, because the filters are in the speakers. It sounds a bit like cause downstream of effect, but, for example, the amp connected to the tweeter will still supply a full bass voltage swing at 50Hz. But the filter in the crossover will draw no current at that frequency, so the amp will have a much easier load than if it were connected to the other two drivers also.

If you were to set filters on the Expert, then the ignored voltage swings would be lower also. It might make a difference. The crossover frequencies for your speakers are quoted as 380 and 3800 so those would be the numbers to use, and if you use a 1st-order slope then you're preserving whatever crossover characteristic PMC have designed in. Wouldn't hurt to experiment with steeper slopes, but you may find holes appearing in the frequency response.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
(11-Nov-2021, 10:26)Carcrashboy Wrote:
(08-Nov-2021, 23:12)renan Wrote: I use a D200 since the last 5 years on my system.

Hi,

I am very interested in your journey, I had seen systems made up of all Devialets being used for external crossovers but never a mix of another amp manufacturer.

I have a few questions, if that’s OK?

How do you configure D200 for external crossover, can you do it yourself or did Devialet assist you?

What speakers are you using and did you need to modify them at all?

I assume you need to use the volume control on the Kaneda separately to the D200?

Thanks

Hello,

The devialet has the possibility of crossover using the configurator.
Crossover is bessel filter. I used a 4th order filter. This is in the HP settings

In my configuration each devialet send the 20-900Hz through HP output direct to each 38cm speaker
and I configured the preout output to the kaneda amp leading to the compression making 900-20000Hz

Volume control is then controlled by the Devialet remote control.
You can set the voltage output from the preout to mathc the input sensitivity of the amp (kaneda for me)

The adjustment between level is performed in HP setting where you can decrease or increase the output.

In my case , Compression ssensitivity is 110dB and the 15 inch speaker is 93.
So I have around 17-20dB difference to set in the HP settings.

For me it was working very well

Then you can use the preout
(11-Nov-2021, 14:02)devianet Wrote: If I'm understanding correctly, this sort of configuration is possible just in the Configurator with no special help from Devialet.

You can set a low pass filter on the speaker outs and a high pass filter on the pre-outs, which can then feed into a separate power amp.

Exatly that, yes.
(12-Nov-2021, 19:43)Waiski Wrote: Yep.

I have JBL 4345 and Devialet 1000 Pro.

At the moment I biamp with Devialet (2 x 250 Pro) speaker output but have also biamped from preout. I prefer to biamp with only Devialet. I use preout as sub out.

Lähetetty minun SM-G991B laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I did try one D200 for bass and one D200 for high. It was working fine but more power on the bass with 2 D200 was better and to my hear the kaneda on the high was better than the D200.

I did try also by linking the D400 using RCA/AES cable or through USB synchronization using Dante Via.
In a strange manner the use of the D200 as independt amp by usb was better to me.
As the remote can control both D200 at the same time, it's easy to use. Well not really a standard setting!