Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gecko stands
I visited the Paris Flagship store today to listen - it was great. Some jumping issues when testing with Tidal and Deezer, but overall very impressive - especially considering the size of the room.

They had a Phantom mounted on a special bracket on the wall they referred to as the Gecko stand which apparently will not be available until 2016. Very pretty, very white, perfect fit to the base - and looks a bit like a Gecko the way it has four arms attached to the wall.

I asked the Devialet rep if the Branches would be better stands and he said technically yes, but doubted anyone would be able to hear the difference.
I would like to get a pair of geckos. I have silver phantoms up on shelves at the moment. They are fairly high as this room is my workspace and I need the floor clear. But unlike many other speakers I have had, these still image and produce a full balanced sound from up there.

[Image: 6d00c99a21e01092d49ad5438974a350.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that a 3D printed Sandbeest that you have there? I saw one on QI once. Fascinating.

And the skulls, are they 3D printed too?

Lovelly!
(30-Oct-2015, 04:43)Gremlin Wrote: Is that a 3D printed Sandbeest that you have there? I saw one on QI once. Fascinating.

And the skulls, are they 3D printed too?

Lovelly!

Well spotted! Yes it is a Sandbeest, and when you blow the fan it scuttles across the floor in a very uncanny way! The skulls are resin cast replicas

I want a Sandbeest, some skull replicas and maybe a Phantom or two someday. Or maybe the Kii THREE?

(30-Oct-2015, 06:30)Gremlin Wrote: I want a Sandbeest, some skull replicas and maybe a Phantom or two someday. Or maybe the Kii THREE?

Sorry if that sounded provocative at the last. I just meant that Kiis seem possibly even more interesting and with possibly fewer problems - but who knows...
We're getting a bit off-topic here but yes, I've made some enquiries about them with the local distributor too. The Kii Threes are serious kit but they another level of expensive. Part of the appeal of phantoms is that for complete setup of this quality they are not really pricey.

I agree with you. It's the fact that so many people are reporting problems of various sorts with the Phantoms that makes me feel a bit twitchy about them. I guess that in about a year Devialiet may have sorted out most of the problems, and there are no guarantees that the Kii will works straight off; but the latter do seem to require less needy network stuff...

Dunno. Good luck to both. Both are at the vanguard of modern hi-fi (meaning high fidelity to the source) I'd say.
Interestingly the Kii demo was compared with the Phantom demo in this article: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/m...15/11.html Apparently the Phantoms were embarrassing.
(01-Nov-2015, 10:21)bearcatsandor Wrote: Interestingly the Kii demo was compared with the Phantom demo in this article: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/m...15/11.html Apparently the Phantoms were embarrassing.

Yes, I remember that. A pretty poor effort from a professional reviewer, I felt. But I am hardly unbiased because I love my phantoms! However I do admire Putzeys' work so I'm keen to hear them