Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geek Source
As part of a crowd sourcing campaign, I decided to purchase a yet-to-be-released product by LH Labs called the Geek Source.  When the campaign was initiated, the target competition was the Auralic Aries.  LH Labs was clear about this because all its marketing literature compared the two devices.  After many fits and starts -- and a product demo at the recent CES show -- I am told the product will ship next month.  We shall see.  My initial investment was about $1K and LH Labs indicates the final product will sell for $5K.  So, if the product pans out as anticipated, I will have made a decent purchase.  I upgraded from the original spec to a 4TB drive and Femto clocks.

For those of you with an interest, here is a link to the product specs and other information.  I have also inserted a link here to couple of photos.

I intend to tether my Dev200 to the Geek Source by USB, which is recommended, though AES/EBU is an option.  I will transfer my CD collection to the hard drive.  Also, the Geek Source promises Roon and Tidal integration.  As I subscribe to Tidal, I am encouraged by this development.  I wonder whether the Geek Source will implement MQA.  Not sure.  But it would be nice to decode the eventual Tidal tracks!

I plan to keep my Bluesound Node 2, which my wife finds easy to operate.  The upside is that Bluesound will eventually have MQA decoding.  I  tether the Dev200 to the Bluesound Node 2 by coax.

Once I have the unit in house, I will report on its efficacy!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I suspect I'm missing the point somewhat, but here goes anyway:

Your post states a price of $5k, which judging by the specification is not unreasonable. However, the text per the link states "less than $1500", which seams very reasonable indeed! Is this some kind of "crowd sourcing" price? What am I missing here?

Looks like a nice bit of kit though! If it will run Roon with optimum sound quality & usability, maybe a bit of a winner.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-Feb-2016, 22:45)Confused Wrote: I suspect I'm missing the point somewhat, but here goes anyway:

Your post states a price of $5k, which judging by the specification is not unreasonable.  However, the text per the link states "less than $1500", which seams very reasonable indeed!  Is this some kind of "crowd sourcing" price?  What am I missing here?

Looks like a nice bit of kit though!  If it will run Roon with optimum sound quality & usability, maybe a bit of a winner.

The original target price of the server in production was, indeed, $1,500.  But the recent press reports have now targeted $5K.  See this link.

I am eager to finally have the unit in my home.  I have my doubts about whether LH Labs can produce a wonderful piece of tablet/phone software on the first lap to operate the device but we shall see.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.