Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going in to see Phantom Gold today
Hi all, 

I have been doing some research on the Phantom Gold speakers, it will be the first time I set my foot into the Hi Fi world, before I just use a desktop speaker for my PC so kinda new to all this. 

Searching on google it seems the only negative reviews I have seen are from customers that brought the system on Amazon, all the critics love it. I have noticed there are issues with the APP and Dialog for 2 phantoms. 

My question is this: What should I be on the look out for when I go in to purchase my phantom? Is there a particular batch where there were problems with? Is it safer for me to buy a single gold for now until the dialog bugs are fixed or just try my luck and hope for the best? 

Regards,
(06-Feb-2018, 03:46)YZftw Wrote: Hi all, 

I have been doing some research on the Phantom Gold speakers, it will be the first time I set my foot into the Hi Fi world, before I just use a desktop speaker for my PC so kinda new to all this. 

Searching on google it seems the only negative reviews I have seen are from customers that brought the system on Amazon, all the critics love it. I have noticed there are issues with the APP and Dialog for 2 phantoms. 

My question is this: What should I be on the look out for when I go in to purchase my phantom? Is there a particular batch where there were problems with? Is it safer for me to buy a single gold for now until the dialog bugs are fixed or just try my luck and hope for the best? 

Regards,

I haven’t heard of any quality problems with Phantom Golds of any batch. Of course a mono speaker (single Phantom) will never be able to image in stereo. Phantoms need the same careful placement as floorstands to shine. Physics remains. For stereo reproduction you need Dialog. Dialog has some issues with the optical input. And the networked system of Phantoms and Dialog in some home setups have some problems. Whn you do not want to use ethernet to connect both Phantoms and Dialog to the same router or switch the Phantoms prefer to set up the integrated PLC. PLC requires that all the outlets you use to supply the Phantoms and Dialog to be physically wired together, preferably on the same Phase. When you have this or Ethernet a stereo Phantom system plays very reliable and stable even hires up to 24/192k PCM. Waiting for Devialet to iron out the last few problems with Dialog is maybe not a good option as you never know if they will address the remaining issue with the optical input. The Wifi connection of the Phantoms with Dialog is often problematic as stable stereo reproduction requires low latency. And wifi environments are unpredictable when you have neighbors close.
Hi,

Thank you for taking your time to explain a few things. I have gone and brought a single phantom gold. The guy at the retail store was actively pushing me away from phantom saying there are much better options for the same price.

He recommended the newest BW speakers with a subwoofer and also a pair of Meridan speakers with build in AMP that have an insane bass, I could feel it in my chest where as the gold I couldn't feel it through my body, it's kinda just loud.

Anyways long story short, I brought a single phantom as I am still worried about dialog ( fun story the dialog didn't even work in the display room LOL ) the store is happy to honour the 45 day trail so if I am not happy with the single speaker I can add another 4.5k and upgrade to new Meridan speakers.
(06-Feb-2018, 10:44)YZftw Wrote: Hi,

Thank you for taking your time to explain a few things. I have gone and brought a single phantom gold. The guy at the retail store was actively pushing me away from phantom saying there are much better options for the same price.

He recommended the newest BW speakers with a subwoofer and also a pair of Meridan speakers with build in AMP that have an insane bass, I could feel it in my chest where as the gold I couldn't feel it through my body, it's kinda just loud.

Anyways long story short, I brought a single phantom as I am still worried about dialog ( fun story the dialog didn't even work in the display room LOL ) the store is happy to honour the 45 day trail so if I am not happy with the single speaker I can add another 4.5k and upgrade to new Meridan speakers.

It was better to take 2 golds and the dialog for the 45 days trail
Always the case. When a retailer makes no money from the product then there is always “something better for the price” even if the product you wanted was the best product ever made.
Retail is still great to test the product though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
(06-Feb-2018, 22:05)kmjy Wrote: Always the case. When a retailer makes no money from the product then there is always “something better for the price” even if the product you wanted was the best product ever made.

Actually my retailer is bloody fantastic, as I introduced a client that brought over 140k worth of focal speakers off them. Instantly they offered me 500 AUD and 150 AUD off the phantom gold and tree pod stand. So I am guessing the margin on a phantom would be 1000 AUD per unit? Devialet on their website sells gold at 4690 AUD. 

Anyways as even in store the dialog can't seems to connect I just walked away with one gold, after 1 week of listening the sound although good but I can't help lean towards the Meridian M6 pair he showed me at 8k AUD. The bass was just much more impactful, maybe I never heard the phantom gold in stereo I couldn't compare properly, I'll have to go back to the store to try two golds together. 

If anyone is in Sydney and wants to get a discount on phantoms or any audio equipments let me know and I can forward the business address to you, don't want to post name here in case devialet gets mad at them for selling below RRP lol.
(14-Feb-2018, 12:16)YZftw Wrote:
(06-Feb-2018, 22:05)kmjy Wrote: Always the case. When a retailer makes no money from the product then there is always “something better for the price” even if the product you wanted was the best product ever made.

Actually my retailer is bloody fantastic, as I introduced a client that brought over 140k worth of focal speakers off them. Instantly they offered me 500 AUD and 150 AUD off the phantom gold and tree pod stand. So I am guessing the margin on a phantom would be 1000 AUD per unit? Devialet on their website sells gold at 4690 AUD. 

Anyways as even in store the dialog can't seems to connect I just walked away with one gold, after 1 week of listening the sound although good but I can't help lean towards the Meridian M6 pair he showed me at 8k AUD. The bass was just much more impactful, maybe I never heard the phantom gold in stereo I couldn't compare properly, I'll have to go back to the store to try two golds together. 

If anyone is in Sydney and wants to get a discount on phantoms or any audio equipments let me know and I can forward the business address to you, don't want to post name here in case devialet gets mad at them for selling below RRP lol.

From my knowledge Devialet could comfortably sell a Gold Phantom at $2490 AUD, and a White Phantom at $1500 AUD, and still make decent money, but maybe not enough money to recover the “millions and millions and millions” in R&D prior to releasing Phantom as Devialet say. I don’t know how much it costs to make a Phantom but most of the materials are identical from White to Gold (most, other than the tweeter and technically at the time the ADH2). What says to me they’ve got a huge profit is the fact that they offer for €850 (Euro) a replacement Phantom. Without warranty or Devialet Care. Just 850 Euro and they’ll take a faulty or damaged Phantom and replace it brand new with the same model. That couldn’t be sustainable otherwise. Just to Australia (Perth, Australia at least) they pay 700 Euro to ship yours to them and 700 Euro to ship a new one back. They would surely be losing money there somewhere if there wasn’t a considerable profit on even that 850 Euro price. About $1300 AUD. And they specifically state $1500 USD. Doesn’t matter if you’ve got a White, Silver, or Gold. That price is fixed.

That’s certainly a great dealer and that’s a true appreciation of their customers and business.

I would recommend trying to hear a Stereo Pair of the Golds but at the end of the day it comes down to what you like best! Smile

Devialet Phantom (White)
(15-Feb-2018, 07:45)kmjy Wrote:
(14-Feb-2018, 12:16)YZftw Wrote:

From my knowledge Devialet could comfortably sell a Gold Phantom at $2490 AUD, and a White Phantom at $1500 AUD, and still make decent money, but maybe not enough money to recover the “millions and millions and millions” in R&D prior to releasing Phantom as Devialet say. I don’t know how much it costs to make a Phantom but most of the materials are identical from White to Gold (most, other than the tweeter and technically at the time the ADH2). What says to me they’ve got a huge profit is the fact that they offer for €850 (Euro) a replacement Phantom. Without warranty or Devialet Care. Just 850 Euro and they’ll take a faulty or damaged Phantom and replace it brand new with the same model. That couldn’t be sustainable otherwise. Just to Australia (Perth, Australia at least) they pay 700 Euro to ship yours to them and 700 Euro to ship a new one back. They would surely be losing money there somewhere if there wasn’t a considerable profit on even that 850 Euro price. About $1300 AUD. And they specifically state $1500 USD. Doesn’t matter if you’ve got a White, Silver, or Gold. That price is fixed.

That’s certainly a great dealer and that’s a true appreciation of their customers and business.

I would recommend trying to hear a Stereo Pair of the Golds but at the end of the day it comes down to what you like best! Smile

It makes you wonder, doesn’t it?
When my 400s were upgraded to 440
Pro status, all of the internals are taken out and completely replaced by new amplifiers, phono stages, DACs etc. etc. And all of this for £3500.
I have heard that the actual cost to produce a piece of hi-fi gear is 10% of its retail value. So a Phantom with a retail price of £2200 will cost roughly £220 to make. I don’t know if this is true/accurate, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
@: YZftw

When I auditioned 2 Phantom Gold the store owner just put on some music with a male vocalist. Thought the speakers sounded very well and came back with a friend. This time we choosed the music. With some female vocalists it was easy to hear what lacked in the top end. For the size, pretty ok but little tinny. For the money... It's up to taste. But there're some more open options with a far better top end and resolution.
Tidal --> New brand streamer/dac/preamp --> InterM R500Plus monoblocks --> Intelligent Sound Double 12 --> fractal cables --> La Suède
(15-Feb-2018, 11:51)Axel Wrote: It makes you wonder, doesn’t it?
When my 400s were upgraded to 440
Pro status, all of the internals are taken out and completely replaced by new amplifiers, phono stages, DACs etc. etc.  And all of this for £3500.
I have heard that the actual cost to produce a piece of hi-fi gear is 10% of its retail value. So a Phantom with a retail price of £2200 will cost roughly £220 to make.  I don’t know if this is true/accurate, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Yes I heard the cost of Gold Phantom was roughly £40.
I also heard that an iPhone X only cost 20£.
I wonder how much a 911 Targa GTS (991) cost ? 900 £ probably 
Rolleyes