Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Stereo - Disturbed Stereo Image - One louder than the other?
Yes, vocals should be dead centered. Then it's indeed the same issue I have (see my graphic above).

Really annoying and thanks for putting up this thread with a similar issue.
For me the issue doesn't switch from speaker to speaker; it's always the newer one which is dominant.

But knowing this was already reported in 2019, Devialet should have a (quick) solution on hand to reestablish a flawless stereo image. At least, this is what I expect from a proper hifi manufacturer in this price range.

Edit: I'll try. Thanks for your update.
Good news! It also worked for me!
I did several resets before (3 pushes) which didn't work for me.

Now I pushed both speakers for around 10 seconds (the speaker will switch off first, after few seconds of continuing pushing the button another tone will be emitted). I guess this a 'real' full reset. I then plugged them into the same multiple plug and configured them again.
Now I have a centered stereo image. I am happy it was that easy!
Brilliant! Smile
Thanks for raising it - it made me realise how bad it was Smile
I asked Devialet to confirm the different reset options - no idea if it was the triple click or the double unplug that fixed it for me!
Great teamwork Wink Thank you, too!
I have some updates. Unfortunately, the issue is not resolved yet.

On DOS 2.9.0 the speaker played a centered stereo image after a full reset (8 seconds push), after both speakers were plugged into the same plug and after I did a new set up via the APP. However, after switching the plug off and on again, the synchronisation of volume got lost sometimes. Also, when they are not plugged into the same multi plug, the synchronisation doesn’t work and the newer speaker is louder and hence way too dominant in the stereo image. Means, before I can enjoy listing to the speakers I need to do a full setup of the speakers. This is very annoying!

The day before yesterday I upgraded to DOS 2.10.0 full of hope this might improve the situation. I was disappointed! It worsened the situation by a lot. Now I am not able to center the stereo image at all anymore. Even not after a 8 second push, unplug and plug into the same multi plug and a new set up via the APP. The newer Gold remains the clearly dominant speaker in the stereo set up as described in my initial email. I tried a full reset many times and it didn’t work a single time.

What I have now is a Stereo Pair of Golds for 6000€ which is not able to play a centered stereo image since the newer speaker is clearly louder than the older one. I think, the root cause for this is a physical difference between the newer and the older Gold (older speaker gets hot, the newer not) which sometimes works to be balanced by software. However, this software balance is very unstable/not working.

I spent hours and hours in testing, resetting, comparing etc the speakers and now I am really at a point which I think is not acceptable for a high end, high price stereo set up. I also asked Devialet for support and will keep you posted.
You might have a hardware problem here. The only solution would probably be a replacement of the older speaker by Devialet. Above all if one gets hot and not the other. The not centered image indicates that you have a different SPL between the speakers.
Thanks for your input. As a single speaker, the older Gold works perfectly. Sound quality is good! I had in total 5 Golds (not here anymore to do further comparison) and I also still have a Silver. All of them got/get warm/hot (I am not burning my hands on them). My latest Gold is the first speaker staying quite cool although being played at volumes of round 60-70 for a longer period of time.

This is why I think there might be a physical change to the latest built Golds which enables them to be more effective / louder. I further think this is supposed to be balanced by software which doesn't work reliably. Yet, under DOS 2.9.0 it worked when both speakers were newly set up as described in my previous post.

So, I am not sure if this is a defect of the speaker. However, I also can't exclude this as cause for the issue.
I understand. Difficult case; I feel like only Devialet can help.

I have Golds, Reactors all M series but one Reactor even N. One single Classic which is J, so even older than your Gold L series.
I would say that at 22 Celsius at home, after a few hours, they get warm but not hot. It is a long time I am not fully testing the Classic (to say you if it gets hot) and which is anyway in a different environment today at 17 Celsius degrees when not heated with a pellet stove. So the test would not be useful.
Yes, I cut a ticket to Devialet. I am anxious how Devialet will handle this issue.

Probably the word "hot" is connected with different perceptions. Let's word it like this: the old one gets quite warm. But I am still able to touch the back without being hurt Wink
I have 2 L series Golds, recently upgraded to DOS 2.10 from DOS1. They have always been warm and I did not notice a difference between DOS1 and DOS2.

My stereo image is now dead center. In DOS1, I was noticing a slight drift in the stereo image to the left over time and this could be corrected by resetting the setup.

Hopefully, Devialet Support can resolve your problem soon...