Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold phantom single/mono vs Classic phantom duo/stereo
Hi all

I suspect this topic to has been posted before, but couldn’t find any information on this forum. So please be kind and leave a link if there’s is a topic with this already.

Anyway, I have a Gold phantom and I love it, however I must admit that is miss the stereo sound.

My question is, would you stay with the single Gold phantom or go for two classic phantoms in a stereo setup?
I have been given the option to buy two refurbished classic phantoms for a really good price, so if I sell my gold, it would be status quo price wise.

Thank you in advance
Not exactly the same situation, but relevant: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Stereo-P...ono+stereo

Summary is that stereo is always the way to go.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(28-Sep-2022, 17:09)Memphis_1984 Wrote: Hi all

I suspect this topic to has been posted before, but couldn’t find any information on this forum. So please be kind and leave a link if there’s is a topic with this already.

Anyway, I have a Gold phantom and I love it, however I must admit that is miss the stereo sound.

My question is, would you stay with the single Gold phantom or go for two classic phantoms in a stereo setup?
I have been given the option to buy two refurbished classic phantoms for a really good price, so if I sell my gold, it would be status quo price wise.

Thank you in advance

Hi Memphis,

You'll find people had the same experience, but I'll share it with you anyways as I had a similar dilemma just recently.

I have a pair of Phantom II 98 dB at home and I love them. I am soon moving to a different city for studies but will be at home every once in a while. 
Because I didn't want to miss the amazing Phantom sound I ordered a refurbished Phantom glossy to put into the apartment.

I listened to it for a few days before sending it back to Devialet because honestly the mono sound was so bland being used to the stereophony and soundstage of 2 Phantoms.
It was really way worse than I expected. I will rather go through the hassle of transporting my stereo Phantoms between house and apartment than listen to a single Phantom.
The difference is that big. Some people said "2 Phantoms are 4 times better than a single one". I now stand by this statement.

Also, I would even take two smallest Phantoms 600W over a single Gold 4500W.
I hope you'll go with 2 Classics and sell your single Gold. Or get a second Gold Wink
(30-Sep-2022, 14:00)Jann Wrote:
(28-Sep-2022, 17:09)Memphis_1984 Wrote: Hi all

Thank you in advance

Hi Memphis,

You'll find people had the same experience, but I'll share it with you anyways as I had a similar dilemma just recently.

I have a pair of Phantom II 98 dB at home and I love them. I am soon moving to a different city for studies but will be at home every once in a while. 
Because I didn't want to miss the amazing Phantom sound I ordered a refurbished Phantom glossy to put into the apartment.

I listened to it for a few days before sending it back to Devialet because honestly the mono sound was so bland being used to the stereophony and soundstage of 2 Phantoms.
It was really way worse than I expected. I will rather go through the hassle of transporting my stereo Phantoms between house and apartment than listen to a single Phantom.
The difference is that big. Some people said "2 Phantoms are 4 times better than a single one". I now stand by this statement.

I hope you'll go with 2 Classics and sell your single Gold. Or get a second Gold Wink

Hi

Thank you so much for your point of view, it’s much appreciated.

I am leaning towards the two classics, and with your comment, now even more so!

Buying an extra gold would be the best case scenario, my economy says otherwise

I’ll update this post when I have the stereo setup in place
(30-Sep-2022, 15:19)Memphis_1984 Wrote:
(30-Sep-2022, 14:00)Jann Wrote:
(28-Sep-2022, 17:09)Memphis_1984 Wrote: i’ll put in my two cents for what it’s worth. I think it comes down to how you listen. If you’re going to have a dedicated space to listen in stereo then get a stereo set up. If you’re just listening to music in the background then a mono set up will be fine. I have a mono set up in the kitchen; I’ve a mono in the exercise area. But for when I really want to enjoy music I have my stereo set up and love it. 

Hi all

Thank you in advance

Hi Memphis,

Hi

2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
(01-Oct-2022, 02:32)supaDean Wrote:
(30-Sep-2022, 15:19)Memphis_1984 Wrote:
(30-Sep-2022, 14:00)Jann Wrote: Hi Memphis,

Hi

Hi

Are you still satisfied with your two refurbed phantoms?

Any tips and tricks are welcome
Hi again

As with many things in life, the situation changed.
I was so lucky to buy a silver phantom very cheap and then upgrade to a 108 db, which saved me alot of money.

Now I have a stereo setup, consisting of a Gold phantom and a 108 db.
Stereo vs mono is night and day! Also, the mids and highs changed significantly when stereo paired.

Thank you for your feedback.

Have a nice day