Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye and thanks for all the fish...
Just a post to say that after 6 years or so I have sold my D220 pro and Martin Logan Ethos speakers. The primary reason for this was moving to a smaller, upstairs room with a strange shape and wooden floor. The system was overkill plus just didn’t sound right. So, and I never thought I would say this, I have downgraded!

Have bought a Naim Muso 2 which fits the room a lot better and sounds surprisingly good.

Some thoughts on leaving the Devialet family...

The D220 was far and a way the best sounding amp I have ever owned. Build quality, design and reliability were second to none.

But... many things promised over the years just haven’t appeared yet are available on the Naim (including the £700 ish Muso QB which I have also bought for downstairs) such as...

Changing Input names and hiding inputs immediately via the Naim App.
Native Qobuz support which works incredibly well
Naim App on IPad and Android phone which just appears to work and integrates everything in one place
Firmware upgrades via the network

In addition the TV connects via HDMI ARC and I can still connect my Chord BLU via (gasp) Toslink.

Final observation is that the Naim forum, which I have been checking out over the last few weeks is surprisingly similar to this one to the extent that you can almost substitute X for Naim or Devialet and it all makes sense e.g.

X never read this forum
X never listen to their users
X is the best thing since sliced bread
The X app is the worst bit of software ever
The last X firmware upgrade for functionality made the sound worse
X never release software upgrade notes
Etc etc

anyway hope you all keep well and enjoy whatever hifi you choose to use.
Chord Blu > D200 > Martin Logan Ethos : Saddleworth, England
All the best with your new gear, and as others have shown, not having anymore any Devialet gear should not be a reason to leave this place and stop visiting and sharing Smile

Diversity is good.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I use a Naim Muso as a sound bar - it is very good but no Expert that’s for sure.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
Fully agree with Jean-Marie!

Being an ex-Devialet Owner myself, I still find this forum to be a great place to openly exchange opinions on diverse topics with minimal / no retribution regardless of which system you own.

A good friend of mine has a Naim System which is really fantastic but I personally find their forum to be a bit hostile at times ...

Enjoy the new setup!
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I bought myself a Devialet Reactor and my son permanently borrowed it. Then my wife permanently borrowed it off my son to use in her studio. So I bought my son a Naim Muso QB2. I use a 250 Expert Pro and Bluesound Powernode 2i in my office.

I've been a Qobuz user since early 2014 and one reason for buying the Expert Pro in late 2016 was to have Qobuz onboard. It never happened.

Soundwise and featurewise, the Expert 250 Pro meets all my needs. The Muso QB2 is fantastic value with very impressive sound. It also has far and away the best software. BluOs is very good as well.

Devialet told me to my face, literally, that they were going to design a new operating system and firmware, but it never happened. I think they just went for Roon. Roon solves all Devialet's software failures. There is no need for online updates as there hasn't been one for 18 months. All my family use the Devialet, via Roon, as it works so well and easily.

As consumers, we are very lucky to have a wide range of excellent products with incredible functionality to choose from these days.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
I would personally have kept the 220 CI and bought high quality bookshelf speakers.

I use a Muso cube in my bedroom and it’s convenient for sure, but it isn’t hifi.

Anyway, enjoy your new equipment. Wink

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Hi Bernard...
I did actually home audition a pair of Harbeth XD P3ESR (£2,500) and they were definitely better than the QB version 1 that I was testing at the time. Just a little bass shy I thought. I can’t directly compare the larger Muso 2 as I no longer have the Harbeths but I think the Muso 2 is significantly better than the QB 1 but happy to agree the Harbeths or similar are better than the Muso. Bass on the Muso is significant but stereo separation limited. Connectivity better than the D220. Horses for courses...
All the best
Chord Blu > D200 > Martin Logan Ethos : Saddleworth, England
Fair enough, I am sure you’ll enjoy it!

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1