Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program
Doubt it's unrelated. People probably want to cash in before the new models/upgrades become common knowledge.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(26-Jul-2016, 19:56)GTX Wrote: Unsure if the two things are correlated but since the announcement of the Expert upgrade program the number of second hand devialet for sale on line has almost doubled ..

http://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Devialet

Are these not mainly dealers selling demo models? The first few I clicked on were.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I started with a used D-Premier and enjoyed it.  I never was much interested in Air.

Then I moved to a used 400 because of upgraditis.  I very much enjoyed the improvement is SQ. But I did miss the case and remote of the D.
So I bought a brand new 250 with the intention of moving up to an 800.  I never got the second 250...

I started to get upgraditis and was ready to leave the 250 and Devialet behind me.  But my near perfect 1.5 year old  $15,500US 250 would not bring $7,500.00US.  So I took it off the market and I will use it for a second stereo as I have now purchased new/used equipment that I am very satisfied with.

I bought a used Dartzeel CTH-8550 integrated amp for $13KUS and a used PS Audio DirectStream DSD dac for $3.5KUS.   They are both in perfect condition....as new. That would be $26,300.00US for the Dart and PSA DD new.

$16.5US for the new combination and it actually feels like I am in a complete different league than with the 250.  Everything sounds better with the new setup.  I won't go into the SQ here but I am very, very  pleased. I am really glad to get my DAC in a separate box than the amp.  I do miss the crossover functions but I can deal with that.

Every move I made with Devialet led to substantial loss in value.  No way would I invest anymore in the Devialet line as I see them now. 

Would a D250 Pro match what I am hearing with the Dartzeel and DirectStream......I doubt it.  I certainly won't be upgrading for a streamer.  Too many options that are way cheaper.

I don't begrudge Devialet and their way......but I am not interested anymore.  One sit down with my new equipment made it very clear...
Pink Faun STREAMER 2.12 Control PC + Windows 10 + Roon >
Pink Faun STREAMER 2.12 Audio PC + Linux + HQ Player + Optimized for I2S + USB >
Lampizator Golden Gate DSD512 > Dartzeel NHB-108 Model One > TAD Evolution One

For Sale-Fibonnaci Technologies Vaya! Ribbon Transducers / For Sale-JL Audio F112 

(26-Jul-2016, 10:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: So the extra value's in the part that doesn't exist yet, has no definite release date, no specs, and can't be auditioned prior to handing over upgrade cash....

...therefore.....don't upgrade...yet
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Jul-2016, 21:44)Christopher W. Wrote: I started with a used D-Premier and enjoyed it.  I never was much interested in Air.

Then I moved to a used 400 because of upgraditis.  I very much enjoyed the improvement is SQ. But I did miss the case and remote of the D.
So I bought a brand new 250 with the intention of moving up to an 800.  I never got the second 250...

I started to get upgraditis and was ready to leave the 250 and Devialet behind me.  But my near perfect 1.5 year old  $15,500US 250 would not bring $7,500.00US.  So I took it off the market and I will use it for a second stereo as I have now purchased new/used equipment that I am very satisfied with.

I bought a used Dartzeel CTH-8550 integrated amp for $13KUS and a used PS Audio DirectStream DSD dac for $3.5KUS.   They are both in perfect condition....as new.  That would be $26,300.00US for the Dart and PSA DD new.

$16.5US for the new combination and it actually feels like I am in a complete different league than with the 250.  Everything sounds better with the new setup.  I won't go into the SQ here but I am very, very  pleased. I am really glad to get my DAC in a separate box than the amp.  I do miss the crossover functions but I can deal with that.

Every move I made with Devialet led to substantial loss in value.  No way would I invest anymore in the Devialet line as I see them now. 

Would a D250 Pro match what I am hearing with the Dartzeel and DirectStream......I doubt it.  I certainly won't be upgrading for a streamer.  Too many options that are way cheaper.

I don't begrudge Devialet and their way......but I am not interested anymore.  One sit down with my new equipment made it very clear...

I remember you said you were moving to Dartzeel and wondered what the difference would be like. I (and I'm sure others here) would love the read what you have to say about the difference in sound. From the reviews I've read, Dartzeel sounds very seductive.

Please let us know. (Or me anyway  Smile)
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Jul-2016, 21:44)Christopher W. Wrote: I started with a used D-Premier and enjoyed it.  I never was much interested in Air.

I bought a used Dartzeel CTH-8550 integrated amp for $13KUS and a used PS Audio DirectStream DSD dac for $3.5KUS.   They are both in perfect condition....as new.  That would be $26,300.00US for the Dart and PSA DD new.

I also would love to know what your experience reguarding the CTH8550 is..
Sam

Raidho D1/ Devialet D200
microRendu/ sonicTransporter/ ROON
Audience AU24e Speaker Cable
Cardas USB Cable
Transparent Powerlink Power Cable
Audience AR1P Conditioner

System 2
Meridian F80
Chromcast Audio (w/ Native TIDAL and DS Audio)
MIT Optical Cable
Wouldn't it be better in most cases to just get a second unit to double up in terms of SQ improvements ?

I mean, going from D200 to D400 by getting a second D200 seems as though it would offer a larger improvement in sound and be far more cost effective.

There are some very very good deals on the current models at the moment and that too me is far more attractive than the upgrade price offered for the D200 to move up.
(27-Jul-2016, 03:10)Saunter Wrote: Wouldn't it be better in most cases to just get a second unit to double up in terms of SQ improvements ?

I mean, going from D200 to D400 by getting a second D200 seems as though it would offer a larger improvement in sound and be far more cost effective.

There are some very very good deals on the current models at the moment and that too me is far more attractive than the upgrade price offered for the D200 to move up.

That's what I did. Same price as an upgrade.
Devialet 440 Pro, Revel Ultima Salon 2, Synology DS212j, Minim Server, mConnect, Tidal.

Devialet 170/200 was a good product with good price when bought with -20% discount from shop. 
All in one gear with right price.
But in category 10000 plus Euro/USD there are more interesting offers than Devialet...of course s/h offers.
Aparat from this, audiophiles loves changing gear and don't trust All in One units. So it would be easier sell famous High End amp to Another Audiophile than to sell any Devialet to Them...
(27-Jul-2016, 08:21)Tregee Wrote:
(27-Jul-2016, 03:10)Saunter Wrote: Wouldn't it be better in most cases to just get a second unit to double up in terms of SQ improvements ?

That's what I did. Same price as an upgrade.

This is the dilemma I hv - it is a better option, not to upgrade/sell Devialet or get a companion unit to make it LE400. But, the issue is whether I need to invest another eur 6k, let's say a year or more to make it LE440. That would make the total investment over eur 15k in a three-four year span.