Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Expert 220 Audio Video SA
http://www.avsa.co.za/devialet-expert-22...-elegance/
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
Quote:

"Since Roon has Tidal as an embedded streaming service, those who believe in the benefits of MQA-encoded music will be able to use the Devialet’s MQA-unfolding capabilities to good effect, further adding to its appeal."

News to me.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I'm not so sure about the DAC chip they reckon is inside either. It looks as if the writer doesn't have a clue of what he was reviewing.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Sep-2018, 02:12)Pim Wrote: I'm not so sure about the DAC chip they reckon is inside either. It looks as if the writer doesn't have a clue of what he was reviewing.

+1 ... well said Big Grin ..   

I always knew the DAC to be a Burr-Brown PCM 1792.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(26-Sep-2018, 03:56)audio_engr Wrote:
(26-Sep-2018, 02:12)Pim Wrote: I'm not so sure about the DAC chip they reckon is inside either. It looks as if the writer doesn't have a clue of what he was reviewing.

I wasn't sure but that sounds about right. The number 1792 did come to mind.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Sep-2018, 06:35)Pim Wrote:
(26-Sep-2018, 03:56)audio_engr Wrote:

I wasn't sure but that sounds about right. The number 1792 did come to mind.

Devialet is saying that they are using Texas Instruments series 179X converters. Here is a quote from Devialet's website:

Quote:Magic Wire architecture enables us to exploit the full potential of the very best converters on the market: current output DACs. Expert Pro models feature Texas Instruments series 179x converters.
https://www.devialet.com/en-gb/expert-pr...ity-sound/
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
I think Texas Instruments acquired Burr-Brown many years ago (as they did with Toccata that developed the technology for Tact)
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Another quote from the review, from the "Setting Up" section:

An analogue input set was used to connect my PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

So it looks like all the listening impressions are taken with an external DAC in the chain.  Not the optimum way to use a Devialet.  Combined with the MQA comments, this does make me wonder about the value of this review.  I also note that the "Vital Stats" section lists the ADC as "Texas Instruments PCM4202"  and DAC as "Cirrus Logic WM8740" .  I wonder where this information comes from?  From what I know it is not correct, but would the reviewer just make it up? Seams unlikely.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
But he did listen to hirez from a computer as well?
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
This review from Deon Schoeman of South African Audio Video Magazine seems to be a rehash of other people's reviews. Certainly, in South Africa, DS considers himself to be the guru of audio equipment and reviews equipment regularly

There is a SA AV Forum on which this topic was discussed. However, no-one here knows which DAC chipset is being used

See: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/top...#msg882322
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds