Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDMI to USB audio extractor - experiences?!
To play lossless audio, I would have to switch from Apple TV 3 to Apple TV 4K. Unfortunately, Apple TV 4K does not have a digital output; HDMI only. For the connection to the Devialet I would need an audio extractor or something similar. For example, to play the signal via HDMI-> USB.

Does anyone have any experience with such converters or extractors in terms of audio quality?

Alternatively, I am thinking about a BlueSound Node n130, which unfortunately does not harmonize with the Apple world (no Apple Music support). So the Apple TV 4K might be a solution. So far, I have not been able to find out how it compares sound technically.
Yes, I tried 3
None of them were very exciting

There was one EARLDOM 4K to USB3.0 which will output L-PCM audio which did work and was relatively cheap. Its actually a video capture adaptor as you might realise and audio quality is not high on the list of priorities
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
Thank you.

Not encouraging.

So I should no longer think about it.
(16-Nov-2021, 16:30)Nightmare Wrote: So I should no longer think about it.

Assuming that you are transmitting a HDCP encoded video/audio signal, then I'm sure I recall that a conversion from HDMI to another unencrypted digital output is not allowed. You are running the risk that any device you buy will not work.
Nb - the capture type devices are, I think, primarily intended for non-HDCP signals

Having written that, it is ironic that I am using a modded Oppo BD player to extract mch audio from an encrypted HDMI signal, although it is in the S/PDIF format, and then using a MiniDSP unit to convert those mch signals into a USB format. Blush
Have one of these and it works reasonably well
https://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HAECOAX

Like all digital converters, the key to good SQ is the quality of the internal clock. Hence, avoid buying the cheapest ones. But it is impossible to tell the quality based on price alone. Hence, go for better known brands.

Another possibility is this
https://www.lindy.com.au/hdmi-4k-audio-e...dmi-bypass
(16-Nov-2021, 22:20)alandbush Wrote: Assuming that you are transmitting a HDCP encoded video/audio signal, then I'm sure I recall that a conversion from HDMI to another unencrypted digital output is not allowed.  You are running the risk that any device you buy will not work.
You raise a good point about whether a device can get pass HDCP. There is some doubt about some cheap devices, but the Kanex Pro that I have, does indeed bypass HDCP.
@Snoopy8
„Reasonably well“ does not sound enough talking about losless or hi-res music.
(18-Nov-2021, 07:07)Nightmare Wrote: @Snoopy8
„Reasonably well“ does not sound enough talking about losless or hi-res music.
It is all relative and does depend on the source as well as the quality of the inputs. 

HDMI has jitter and not ideal for music. Using a converter to optical is an additional step, and cheap converters may introduce even more jitter.  If I had a choice, I will not use HDMI. If I had no choice, the converter to optical will do a good job. Is it the best setup for sound quality? No.  Hence, why I said reasonably well.
(15-Nov-2021, 16:29)Nightmare Wrote: To play lossless audio, I would have to switch from Apple TV 3 to Apple TV 4K. Unfortunately, Apple TV 4K does not have a digital output; HDMI only. For the connection to the Devialet I would need an audio extractor or something similar. For example, to play the signal via HDMI-> USB.

Does anyone have any experience with such converters or extractors in terms of audio quality?

Alternatively, I am thinking about a BlueSound Node n130, which unfortunately does not harmonize with the Apple world (no Apple Music support). So the Apple TV 4K might be a solution. So far, I have not been able to find out how it compares sound technically.

I have one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Sw...B00QJGAKCW.  HDMI in and extracts audio signal to RCA or SPDIF optical out ( i use this to feed my Expert Pro).  Also acts as an HDMI switch.
220 Pro CI,  B&W 805 D3,  SVS ultra sub with upgrade.  Streaming with Sirius XM and Tidal
I think I was standing something on the hose the entire time I saw the node in the chain. Without a node, the path would be the direct signal from the extractor to the devialet, which in case of doubt has the better DAC.