Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon acquired by Harmon International
The subject says it all, there's announcements on Roon's site and I assume on Harmon's site. The Roon announcement I saw was largely "feely goody" about how they both think it's a great partnership but it did contain the only really important info I think most of us are interested in: there's no change to anything as far as Roon users are concerned. Subscriptions are the same, they're valid for the period you signed up for so life subscriptions are still life subscriptions, no mention of any change in subscription rated.

That's it in a nutshell.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Harman is owned by Samsung, so it'll probably be integrated into your mobile phone soon.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Not my mobile phone, I have an iPhone :-)
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I am wondering if this will have a positive impact on a next version of the ROON Nucleus+ which is currently not deliverable outside of the US.
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
Wonder away, but I know no more than I've read and what I've read said nothing about the Nuclueus or Nucleus+.

Harman has a large audio division which includes companies which make electronics as well as its stable of speaker manufacturers. Roon is basically a software company and the Nucleus/Nucleus+ are not Roon's main product, there software is.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Roon stop producing the Nucleus/Nucleus+ and simply collaborate with one or more of Harman's companies like Arcam who would produce and sell a server product which essentially replaced the Nucleus/Nucleus+.

On the other hand, Harman has several audio electronics companies and several speaker companies who produce competing products so it's equally possible that Roon will continue to develop and sell Nucleus products and Harman's electronics companies will benefit from Roon's knowledge and expertise as they develop their own lines of Roon Ready products and it wouldn't surprise me if that happens instead.

There's only one way we're going to find out and that's to wait and see what happens.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Some quite significant news from Roon as a result of this acquisition: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-messa.../264251/12.

Highlights from my point of view are: there's no longer a requirement for an Internet connection to use Roon 2.0, and there's a promise of improvements for those of us using locally-stored music.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK