Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hacker used Phantom memory...
None of this sounds even vaguely true. While I'm sure it is theoretically possible to use the bluetooth or wifi of your Phantom network as attack vectors via a hitherto unknown exploit, the effort and costs involved would require a very valuable target, and there would be much easier ways to run this attack.

At the end of this the result was, what - some files appeared? You reset the speaker and now suddenly you feel safe?

If you'd really been hacked with this level of sophistication, a root kit would have been installed and I wouldn't trust your computer at all without formatting it entirely. Even then, all bets are off.

Without any actual evidence like examples of these hidden files and/or analysis of their network activity to diagnose which nefarious activities they were undertaking, this seems like (at best) a misunderstanding of how the app works.
^^ if airdrop was used, the weak point was your Mac.
For the rest it's still hard for me to figure out most of your explanations.
(03-Oct-2016, 21:55)booshtukka Wrote: None of this sounds even vaguely true. While I'm sure it is theoretically possible to use the bluetooth or wifi of your Phantom network as attack vectors via a hitherto unknown exploit, the effort and costs involved would require a very valuable target, and there would be much easier ways to run this attack.

At the end of this the result was, what - some files appeared? You reset the speaker and now suddenly you feel safe?

If you'd really been hacked with this level of sophistication, a root kit would have been installed and I wouldn't trust your computer at all without formatting it entirely. Even then, all bets are off.

Without any actual evidence like examples of these hidden files and/or analysis of their network activity to diagnose which nefarious activities they were undertaking, this seems like (at best) a misunderstanding of how the app works.

Yes there was created a partion in the root too.
As much as it sounds pretty fanciful, there are some sh** hot hackers in Russia, so who knows maybe one lives next door and you'd played it so loud he decided to seek revenge! Wink

Or maybe a Russian intelligence officer saw you carrying something that looked like a futuristic WMD, so put their best guys on it to see if they could access the technology and launch codes etc. I'm sure they would have been very disappointed to find out that it's actually a speaker.....
That said, they could have at least had the decency to up-rate the power on it for you....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(04-Oct-2016, 09:27)steenh Wrote:
(03-Oct-2016, 21:55)booshtukka Wrote: None of this sounds even vaguely true. While I'm sure it is theoretically possible to use the bluetooth or wifi of your Phantom network as attack vectors via a hitherto unknown exploit, the effort and costs involved would require a very valuable target, and there would be much easier ways to run this attack.

Yes there was created a partion in the root too.

Guys, I've been in cybersecurity for a long time. I was a hacker as a kid, and ran the cybersecurity products/strategy for one of the largest security companies.

This description of what happened makes zero sense. It doesn't even match how technically a hack would happen.

You have to already have hacked into the WiFi network to be able to leverage the Phantom, unless it was broadcasting a public IP (which I don't believe it does). The Phantom would then have to be able to write files from the Phantom to your computer, which no computer is setup to allow by default. Even if someone hacks into your WiFi, they can't automatically write to your computer unless they also hacked the computer.

I'm highly skeptical this is real.
5 Devialet Gold's on branch stands, remote, dialog. Spotify Connect and Amazon Echo Dot driving voice control.
(09-Oct-2016, 18:37)dkoretz Wrote: I'm highly skeptical this is real.

You and me both. A "partition in the root" is not a root kit.
(03-Oct-2016, 17:21)daibaron Wrote: It looks like you're in the middle of a conspiracy...
Dont buy a Tesla.

+1 That was a good one ...   Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I am also involved with IT security and agree that this "scenario" made zero sense. I will be that "guy" and say this seems like a failed attempt to troll us.
I'm not so sure. I think someone just hacked into my fridge freezer coz all my chocolate bars are missing.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2