Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harsh sounding during radio
I'm finding my Devialet 120 with PMC Twenty.23's very harsh sounding when listening to internet radio, especially radio 4.

Currently exploring different speaker cables, doesn't seem to do much.

It's mainly around s's and women's voices. Streamed from both JRiver over Air and AirPlay via TOSLINK via my airport express.

I know Radio 4 is streamed at 120KB/s but sounded fine on my old SuperUniti.

Anyone found this to be the case? Any suggestions? I do like a bit if Radio 4 in the morning but it's really starting to grind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(27-Aug-2014, 14:51)stuartwoodrandom Wrote: I'm finding my Devialet 120 with PMC Twenty.23's very harsh sounding when listening to internet radio, especially radio 4.

Currently exploring different speaker cables, doesn't seem to do much.

It's mainly around s's and women's voices. Streamed from both JRiver over Air and AirPlay via TOSLINK via my airport express.

I know Radio 4 is streamed at 120KB/s but sounded fine on my old SuperUniti.

Anyone found this to be the case? Any suggestions? I do like a bit if Radio 4 in the morning but it's really starting to grind!

I think you're expecting rather a lot from a very low bit rate source played through a revealing amp and speakers.

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
Just tried a quick experiment with Radio 4. Sounded ok streamed from PC, but yes, an issue with sibilance on s's. Similar, but slightly better using my digital tuner (Cambridge Audio). Interestingly, the s's issue was much lest pronounced when I tried switching to good old fashioned FM. It didn't sound too bad streaming from PC, but the s's issue would certainly get annoying after a while. We now have the big manufactures telling us that we must rush out and buy 4K TV's because 1080p's no good anymore, and yet someone thinks streaming radio at a 120 bit rate is fine. A funny old world. In this 24bit world, streaming radio at CD quality should be a breeze!
Completely agree. Radio 3 streams at 320Kbps and is noticeably much better.

Come on BBC!

On a quick note about this though, I run JRiver and wonder whether there's a plugin it filter I can apply just to a radio stream that will smooth this? Will look into it later today.