Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Phantom Gold - valve like treble
(26-Jun-2019, 04:10)eniriop Wrote: The difference is I don't have to mess with tube swapping, or cable swapping. I have the tube sound without the tube worries.
The problem with tubes is that it can be quite addictive to tube roll and experiment with different tubes and I had 3 pairs in my preamp to tinker. Went down a rabbit hole of starting to prefer the distortions created ! I thought I will miss tubes when I switched to the Golds, but now do not miss it...
SNOOPY8 Wrote

I agree that Devialet carry a lot of blame for not marketing the stereo pair enough; seems like an after thought.  There are not many reviews that look at the stereo pair.  The third problem is the retailer.  Most have a single one, my auditon was tucked into a corner.  When I asked the shop that I bought from why there was no stereo setup, the answer was that they had one, but customers usually look for one, which points back to poor Devialet's marketing.

I´ve got Devialet in my sight already 4 years ago and I´m now a proud owner of  pair of Gold since 3 days ago.
I just want to  say that I´m agree with what Snoopy  wrote and I will push  the conclusion any  further, I´m suspecting
some High-End retailers to refuse demoing the Phantom as a stereo pair, creating a dangerous concurrence among other
products they are selling.So good this product is

Regards
JM
(19-Sep-2019, 13:40)Golden Ghost Wrote: SNOOPY8 Wrote

I agree that Devialet carry a lot of blame for not marketing the stereo pair enough; seems like an after thought.  There are not many reviews that look at the stereo pair.  The third problem is the retailer.  Most have a single one, my auditon was tucked into a corner.  When I asked the shop that I bought from why there was no stereo setup, the answer was that they had one, but customers usually look for one, which points back to poor Devialet's marketing.

I´ve got Devialet in my sight already 4 years ago and I´m now a proud owner of  pair of Gold since 3 days ago.
I just want to  say that I´m agree with what Snoopy  wrote and I will push  the conclusion any  further, I´m suspecting
some High-End retailers to refuse demoing the Phantom as a stereo pair, creating a dangerous concurrence among other
products they are selling.So good this product is

Regards
JM
Congrats on your purchase of a pair of Golds.

Maybe there are 1 or 2 retailers who would think like that, but for most retailers, I think it is more ignorance. Retailers have pigeon holed the Phantoms as lifestyle products and do not see them as a serious hifi product.  And potential customers are just as guilty!
Not all dealers are the same.   The picture below is shamelessly stolen from OAC's Twitter feed.  The Phantoms in the picture are Silvers, but I have also seen them demo the Golds as a pair.

It is a fun picture if nothing else.   Smile

EDIT: Scroll trough the pics per the link below and there are a one or two cases of Phantoms appearing set up as stereo pairs.  Plus a nice pic of a pair of Phantoms head to head with some B&W stand mounts.

https://www.instagram.com/oxford_audio/

Also note the rather nice Shunyata Denali lurking above. Smile
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12