Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a Phantom. Need clarity on Stand.
I have read various posts in this website about how many folks have used Stands similar to Devialet Branch/Tree to mount their Phantom.

Does it mean that Phantom can be mounted on Stands meeting certain standards?
How does the Phantom attached to any Stand - if I put my query simply?

I am currently in India and need some clues / guidance as to what should I look for in order to get a stable strong stand for Phantom in Indian market itself.

Thanks in advance.
A warm welcome to the forum!

The Phantom is designed to lock onto the top of the Branch stand. Also the Branch has built-in a power cable.

But you don't NEED either of those features. The Phantom will work OK on any sturdy* stand. It's heavy enough (11.4kg) not to need attaching to its stand.

For me the biggest question would be: what's going to look good? I think most normal speaker stands will look rubbish with the Phantom: a nice heavy piece of solid natural oak, on the other hand, can look great. But your tastes may differ.

* And I do mean 'sturdy'! I'd worry about a lot of the speaker stands out there on the market, which may not be strong enough for such a heavy speaker.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
I would make a bracket to attach the speaker to the stand if you don't use the original stand. The Phantom is quite top heavy and would fall over easily if you bump into it.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(13-Sep-2016, 19:41)ragwo Wrote: I would make a bracket to attach the speaker to the stand if you don't use the original stand. The Phantom is quite top heavy and would fall over easily if you bump into it.

Yes,unlike traditional speakers where the cabinet protects the drivers, Phantom's bass drivers are particularly exposed and dent easily. We are very careful with ours.
(13-Sep-2016, 16:04)rajeevsi Wrote: I have read various posts in this website about how many folks have used Stands similar to Devialet Branch/Tree to mount their Phantom.

Does it mean that Phantom can be mounted on Stands meeting certain standards?
How does the Phantom attached to any Stand - if I put my query simply?

I am currently in India and need some clues / guidance as to what should I look for in order to get a stable strong stand for Phantom in Indian market itself.

Thanks in advance.

The Phantom stand is indeed very nice, but don't make the mistake of not carefully reading the manual even if the dealer walks you through the setup. I thought I knew how to take one off to add the Ethernet and optical interfaces. I didn't read the manual and struggled until I learned the hard way from reading the manual about his the locking mechanism works. The dealer did it so quickly that I failed to notice what he did to remove it. I'm not entirely happy with the stand. It's a bit light for such a heavy speaker. But it looks nice with all the cables hidden.
the branch does a good job preventing the bass from going through the floor though.
Yup, the branch certainly looks heavier than it actually is and it is sturdier than you might expect if you consider that the stand is indeed all hollow inside and only surrounded by some elegantly looking wooden material. The stand's foot is pretty sturdy though. 

The set-up can be test for your patience if you intend to connect all three cables, plus the provided cables seem a tad too short for the task at hand. I've done the set-up on a couch, which worked quite well for me but I've only managed to connect toslink and power, not ethernet.

All in all, if you think of it as a piece of furniture, the price might be considered okay and the sound is definitely as good as promised. However, do not expect it to be safe with children nearby, which stand would be anyway unless you attach it to the floor? Maybe some real piece of furniture would be just as good.