Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphone amp - help please
Over last few months been using my headphones a lot more and looks like this will continue. Not by choice I may add Big Grin

My AKGs are decent and I feel the amp is decent too. A few techhy questions though. My amp is connected with RCA inputs so not digitally. Does this mean I am using the DAC in the 200 as apposed to the DAC in the headphone amp.?

Would I be better off with a headphone amp without a DAC as then I presume this would use the D200s DAC?

If I go for a new headphone amp should I look at one that will connect digitally to the 200 as this means it will use the ADH technology?
Just trying to understand all of this as it will help me with the buying process.

Considering the Senn HD800, Oppo PM1 and the Hifman HE1000 (crazy price )

Any help or guidance as always very much appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(21-Aug-2015, 16:39)Womaz Wrote: Over last few months been using my headphones a lot more and looks like this will continue. Not by choice I  may add Big Grin

My AKGs are decent and I feel the amp is decent too. A few techhy questions though. My amp is connected with RCA inputs so not digitally. Does this mean I am using the DAC in the 200 as apposed to the DAC in the headphone amp.?

Hello again!

If you're taking analog pre-out from the Devialet to the input of your headphone amplifier, then you are certainly using a DAC in the Devialet.  I hesitate to say the DAC because I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple DACs.

(21-Aug-2015, 16:39)Womaz Wrote: Would I be better off with a headphone amp without a DAC as then I presume this would use the D200s DAC?

If the headphone amp has analog inputs, you can connect the Devialet's analog pre-out directly to it.  It sounds from your previous question as though that's what you're doing.  Whether that will be better or worse than connecting a digital output from the Devialet into the digital input of a headphone amplifier is probably a matter of personal taste/opinion.

(21-Aug-2015, 16:39)Womaz Wrote: If I go for a new headphone amp should I look at one that will connect digitally to the 200 as this means it will use the ADH technology?

From my understanding of the Devialet architecture, if you're taking a digital pre-out into a headphone amp, ADH will not be involved.  I may be wrong, but I understand ADH to be essentially the power amplification stage of the Devialet and involves a hybrid of class A and D amplifiers melded together.  There is a DAC shown in the ADH white paper, which provides the input to the class A/D hybrid power amplifier -- that may or may not be the same DAC that drives pre-out, but in either case the ADH part really comes after it so would not be "involved" in the headphone chain.  But that sounds like a moot point to me.

(21-Aug-2015, 16:39)Womaz Wrote: Just trying to understand all of this as it will help me with the buying process.

You might be over-thinking it!  Choose a headphone amp you like, maybe one that has both analog and digital inputs, and experiment.  Personally I doubt I would hear a difference between analog and digital inputs to a decently-engineered headphone amp.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(21-Aug-2015, 17:25)thumb5 Wrote:
(21-Aug-2015, 16:39)Womaz Wrote: Over last few months been using my headphones a lot more and looks like this will continue. Not by choice I  may add Big Grin

Hello again!

If you're taking analog pre-out from the Devialet to the input of your headphone amplifier, then you are certainly using a DAC in the Devialet.  I hesitate to say the DAC because I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple DACs.

(21-Aug-2015, 16:39)Womaz Wrote: Would I be better off with a headphone amp without a DAC as then I presume this would use the D200s DAC?

If the headphone amp has analog inputs, you can connect the Devialet's analog pre-out directly to it.  It sounds from your previous question as though that's what you're doing.  Whether that will be better or worse than connecting a digital output from the Devialet into the digital input of a headphone amplifier is probably a matter of personal taste/opinion.

(21-Aug-2015, 16:39)Womaz Wrote: If I go for a new headphone amp should I look at one that will connect digitally to the 200 as this means it will use the ADH technology?

From my understanding of the Devialet architecture, if you're taking a digital pre-out into a headphone amp, ADH will not be involved.  I may be wrong, but I understand ADH to be essentially the power amplification stage of the Devialet and involves a hybrid of class A and D amplifiers melded together.  There is a DAC shown in the ADH white paper, which provides the input to the class A/D hybrid power amplifier -- that may or may not be the same DAC that drives pre-out, but in either case the ADH part really comes after it so would not be "involved" in the headphone chain.  But that sounds like a moot point to me.

(21-Aug-2015, 16:39)Womaz Wrote: Just trying to understand all of this as it will help me with the buying process.

You might be over-thinking it!  Choose a headphone amp you like, maybe one that has both analog and digital inputs, and experiment.  Personally I doubt I would hear a difference between analog and digital inputs to a decently-engineered headphone amp.

Excelent, exactly the help I was looking for, I also think you are right in that I am tending to overthink it........maybe because I got a little caught out with my 200 purchase and lack of homework Big Grin

Again I must reiterate that I love the 200. I was just wondering if the headphome amp really takes away the 200 sound signature.
Thanks for your help , as always much appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Just to add i will probably decide on the headphones first and then upgrade the amp later. I guess I was wondering how much effect the 200 has on the SQ when using headphones.
Are you planning to listen to all the headphones you mentioned above? I'd be interested to hear what you decide between them...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(21-Aug-2015, 21:42)thumb5 Wrote: Are you planning to listen to all the headphones you mentioned above?  I'd be interested to hear what you decide between them...

I'd be tempted to add Audeze to the audition list.  I managed to listen to a couple of models at a hifi show earlier this year, a too quicker listen to form a firm impression, but definitely good!
I doubt I will get the opportunity to do that. I will do what I usually do. Research research and read and read and then listen to the one I decide on. It's the only time I wish I lived down south Big Grin
(21-Aug-2015, 21:55)Confused Wrote:
(21-Aug-2015, 21:42)thumb5 Wrote: Are you planning to listen to all the headphones you mentioned above?  I'd be interested to hear what you decide between them...

I'd be tempted to add Audeze to the audition list.  I managed to listen to a couple of models at a hifi show earlier this year, a too quicker listen to form a firm impression, but definitely good!

Funny you mention them as the dealer I bought the 200 from stocks these
I have a 200 companion unit's analog Stereo Pre-Out connected to a Violectric V200 driving the Hifiman HE6 and Fostex TH600.

The 200 companion Pre-Out uses it's own DAC chip. This is different than the one used to drive speakers in-line with ADH amplification block. It sounds brilliant, better than my previous DAC (Berkeley Alpha Series 1).

On the headphones front, I'd suggest picking a headphone before the amp. Just like speakers each has it's own signature that may or may not call to you and will dictate amp requirements. For example the HE6s are inefficient and V200 is well above average in the power department but even more power is needed to get their full potential. TH600s although less transparent, easier to drive, have a colored (V shape) signature but are more enjoyable for me.
• Devialet 400 + Magico Q1
(22-Aug-2015, 02:46)nkbg Wrote: I have a 200 companion unit's analog Stereo Pre-Out connected to a Violectric V200 driving the Hifiman HE6 and Fostex TH600.

The 200 companion Pre-Out uses it's own DAC chip. This is different than the one used to drive speakers in-line with ADH amplification block. It sounds brilliant, better than my previous DAC (Berkeley Alpha Series 1).

On the headphones front, I'd suggest picking a headphone before the amp. Just like speakers each has it's own signature that may or may not call to you and will dictate amp requirements. For example the HE6s are inefficient and V200 is well above average in the power department but even more power is needed to get their full potential. TH600s although less transparent, easier to drive, have a colored (V shape) signature but are more enjoyable for me.

Very helpful thank you. I have my amp at present set up as you do , using the pre-outs. I was just wondering that if I chose an amp later that had digital connections to the 200, then would this use the ADH technology. I just remember when I got the 200 the advice was to have a digital connection for my source as Devilalet prefer this. Would the same reasoning apply to the headphone amp.?

I have decided to go headphones first, and if I can find a local Hifiman stockist I will try and audition these first. I may even have to buy the headphones blind and thats quite scary for the amount of cash involved.

Steve