Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphones
Hello,

I am about to become the owner of a 200 within the next few days and I have been playing with the configurator, trying to get to grips with it. I will be using the phono input, plus CD via coax and a streamer + Squeezebox via optical and coax respectively. I may well lose the streamer later on and just use the Sqbox if it sounds good enough.
My question is where can I input headphones and a powered sub? I have some LCD3s with a substantial 1/4" jack and my sub requires the same sort of stereo socket. Can anyone come up with a solution?
Many thanks.
By searching the forum I think I may have the answer to the headphone problem, But it means losing all my RCA sockets. If anyone is using a similar set up I would welcome some advice.
I don't have the same needs as you do but went through the same thing just a few days ago. The only way I could get my headphones (1/4" connectors) to work was to use the pair of digital inputs as pre-outputs. This negated using my digital cable from my source and required a patch cable -2 RCAs male into the 200 and a 1/4" on the other end to attach to my headphones. As a result my source plays through my pair of line inputs and therefore I do not use the 200's onboard DAC because I have lost access to the digital inputs.

I believe you can either use the pair of digital inputs as pre-outs for your headphones OR sub but not both. Maybe there is some other patch cable format that will allow you to attach 4 cables to the 2 pre-outs? No matter your choice you lose the digital inputs but I'm far from an expert here so maybe someone more learned than I can help you out.

Because my rack, which now sits mostly empty because a stack of gear was replaced by the 200, its an easy swap for me. I bought another 4GB SD card, used it for the headphone configuration so all it takes is about 10 seconds of my time to swap the cables in and drop in the SD card to use my headphones. I can still listen to my speakers should I wish to via the remote but if I want to use the coax digital inputs with my speakers I just have take another 10 seconds and swap the cables once again.

I guess if I used an optical digital cable I'd be OK but that type of connection has never been my preferred choice - I like copper based wire for my interconnects.

In my world it would be the perfect set-up if there was just one more coax spdif input.

hopefully the resident experts will chime in and we'll both learn something new Wink
Thanks Ron, thanks for the reply. It does seem pointless to use the D without the DAC but your idea with the cards might be worth trying. I can only hope someone else chips in with a useful tip
I think that you need a second SD card so that you can use 2 configurations of the pre-outs.

Means that as well as swapping SD cards prior to start up, you will also need to swap cables.

A bit tiresome if you need to swap regularly and if the connections are not very accessible.

Of course dual mono would give you that second set of pre-outs.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
Thanks Gray, I have had a message back from Devialet who have confirmed that I cannot use H/phones and a sub at the same time and I would have to plug my CD and sq/box into the line input whilst running the sub/phones from the dig inputs re configured as pre outs. Presumably that means my CD and Sqbox would not be using the Ds onboard DAC? Incidentally how do you reconfigure inputs a pre outs? mine are greyed out and permanently enabled.
Just one more question, at the moment I use my sub linked to my speaker outputs on my amp via a speakon connector, will it damage the D if I did the same with it?
I haven't taken delivery of my 200 yet and already I am regretting the purchase, I should have done more research!
Misterpete,
I would plug your CD into "Dig 4", your SQB into Dig 3. You would be using the D's onboard DAC.

Digital 1 and 2 can be configured as pre-outs. On the configurator enable Dig 1 and 2, then hover your cursor under where it says Digital till a "Settings" heading pops up. Left click and you are into settings, where you want to configure Dig 1 and 2 as preamplified output (stereo) unless of course you are using 2 subs when you would select preamplified output mono.
Once you have selected the way you want to configure the digital inputs/outputs, further options will appear.

It sounds like you have a REL sub. Please check with Devialet if it is OK to connect your sub via the speaker outputs. I'm fairly sure that this would be OK but since I have no experience of this, please make it 100% certain.
I have also been told (by a REL technical guy, Kevin) that you can connect their subs at the speaker end as well. But, again, please check this as Kevin and I may have misunderstood each other.

So, if all is well with connecting your sub via speaker level, this leaves you free to configure Dig 1 and 2 as headphone output (don't forget to also reconfigure the remote so that mute only applies to your speakers and not also to the pre-amp out), which means that you would not need to use 2 seperate configurations and all should be sweet.

BTW I also suffered buyers remorse in my early days of D ownership but now you would need to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Good luck.
Hi Gray,
once again I thank you for your informative reply!
Through extensive research I had already discovered the configuration that you mention and it seems to be the answer, unfortunately the configurator is not the most intuitive thing to navigate. Perhaps it will be easier when I take delivery of my unit and can read the manual.
I will contact Devialet about the sub ( it's a BK not a Rel) but I can't see any reason why it would not work.

When I get up and running I will let you know my thoughts! Once again, many thanks for your time and expertise.
(18-Feb-2015, 23:57)Ron D Wrote: I don't have the same needs as you do but went through the same thing just a few days ago. The only way I could get my headphones (1/4" connectors) to work was to use the pair of digital inputs as pre-outputs. This negated using my digital cable from my source and required a patch cable -2 RCAs male into the 200 and a 1/4" on the other end to attach to my headphones. As a result my source plays through my pair of line inputs and therefore I do not use the 200's onboard DAC because I have lost access to the digital inputs.

I believe you can either use the pair of digital inputs as pre-outs for your headphones OR sub but not both. Maybe there is some other patch cable format that will allow you to attach 4 cables to the 2 pre-outs? No matter your choice you lose the digital inputs but I'm far from an expert here so maybe someone more learned than I can help you out.

Because my rack, which now sits mostly empty because a stack of gear was replaced by the 200, its an easy swap for me. I bought another 4GB SD card, used it for the headphone configuration so all it takes is about 10 seconds of my time to swap the cables in and drop in the SD card to use my headphones. I can still listen to my speakers should I wish to via the remote but if I want to use the coax digital inputs with my speakers I just have take another 10 seconds and swap the cables once again.

I guess if I used an optical digital cable I'd be OK but that type of connection has never been my preferred choice - I like copper based wire for my interconnects.

In my world it would be the perfect set-up if there was just one more coax spdif input.

hopefully the resident experts will chime in and we'll both learn something new Wink

Ron D,

Did you know that you can re-configure the "line inputs" to become another 2 digital inputs ? ie Digital 3 and 4.
This is handy if you want to use Digital 1 and 2 as a pre-amplified output.
Ron D,

Did you know that you can re-configure the "line inputs" to become another 2 digital inputs ? ie Digital 3 and 4.
This is handy if you want to use Digital 1 and 2 as a pre-amplified output.
[/quote]

I wasn't aware of that - I guess I just didn't click through all the choices properly. I will set up that configuration as it would appear to fill my needs perfectly, as long as using the line input converted to digital input (coax) allows for the replay of native 24/192 files.

Many thanks for your guidance!!!!!!!