Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help connecting multiple devices to phantom
Hi,

I have a Phantom Gold, and I would like to be able to connect multiple devices to it using the phantoms optical in.
I have a TV which outputs optical.
Then I have turntable which goes through a mixer, which outputs either RCA or Coax.

So I need some kind of device which allows me to connect the TV + turntable/mixer to the Devialet, and possibly change the source as well (or switch source automatically depending on which source it receives from).

Which device am I looking for?
also, if I would like to have a stereo phantom setup, how could I accomplish that?

I hope someone can help. Smile
If you convert the coaxial output of the mixer to optical you can use an optical switch to have two or more sources connected to the optical input on your Phantom. I use the Cypress DCT-17 which has a remote control for switching inputs but it doesn't automatically switch to the source playing. The DCT-17 has four inputs.

For converting coax to toslink I use the Cypress DTC-2.

If you buy a second Phantom they will sort out the input signal between themselves, sending the right signal to the right speaker (pun intended).
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(16-Nov-2020, 20:02)ragwo Wrote: If you convert the coaxial output of the mixer to optical you can use an optical switch to have two or more sources connected to the optical input on your Phantom. I use the Cypress DCT-17 which has a remote control for switching inputs but it doesn't automatically switch to the source playing. The DCT-17 has four inputs.

If you buy a second Phantom they will sort out the input signal between themselves, sending the right signal to the right speaker (pun intended).

cool, thank you for your response, that sounds like a solution i can use. Smile

I was wondering, how do you send the signal to 2 phantoms? Do you use a toslink splitter? If so, how do you set up the phantoms to be left/right, and will it work in Direct Optical Mode? That part is a bit unclear to me, and i'm a bit hesitant to buy the second speaker before i know if it will work as I intend. Smile
(16-Nov-2020, 23:15)abracadaniel Wrote: If so, how do you set up the phantoms to be left/right, and will it work in Direct Optical Mode? That part is a bit unclear to me, and i'm a bit hesitant to buy the second speaker before i know if it will work as I intend. Smile
The 2 Phantoms talk to one another via Ethernet cable, PLC (Power Line Communication, plug power cable of Phanthoms to same power strip or board) or WiFi. Best sound quality is Ethernet cable, but some people do not want this. WiFi is ok, but if signal is poor, use PLC.

When you start up the App, you tell it that there are 2 Phantoms. Once they are discovered, you then define which one is left and which one right o create a stereo pair.

In the App, you also define which optical input to use, connected to left or right Phantom.

Do get the 2nd Phantom. Important that you have them on stands and set up properly in room, just like you would any stereo speakers. You will be rewarded with much better sound quality.
(16-Nov-2020, 23:15)abracadaniel Wrote:
(16-Nov-2020, 20:02)ragwo Wrote: If you convert the coaxial output of the mixer to optical you can use an optical switch to have two or more sources connected to the optical input on your Phantom. I use the Cypress DCT-17 which has a remote control for switching inputs but it doesn't automatically switch to the source playing. The DCT-17 has four inputs.

cool, thank you for your response, that sounds like a solution i can use. Smile

I was wondering, how do you send the signal to 2 phantoms? Do you use a toslink splitter? If so, how do you set up the phantoms to be left/right, and will it work in Direct Optical Mode? That part is a bit unclear to me, and i'm a bit hesitant to buy the second speaker before i know if it will work as I intend. Smile

In optical direct mode you'll have to use an optical splitter to connect to both speakers. In normal mode the speakers sort out the connection between themselves as Snoopy8 writes.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage