Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Silver phantoms and Room
Dear All,

I have a recurring problem when streaming music from Roon to my 20215 Phantom Silver (Gen 1).           ).

After a short while, which can be anywhere between a few minutes and an hour, the music stops and the blue “Manage Audio Zones” button reappears in Roon. 

Sometimes I am able to select the Phantoms again remotely through my iPhone Roon app but sometimes I am not able to. I then have to go to my core, a 2014 Mac mini, to select the Devialet device again and restart playback. Sometimes I have to estart Roon entirely if it cannot see the Devialets anymore.

Mac mini, Phantoms & Dialog, are all connected via Ethernet to a Netgear switch itself connected to my internet router. Everything is up to date with the latest software / firmware

If anyone has any idea what can be causing the loss of connection between Roon and my phantoms or has a different setup that works please kindly share.

Thx & Rgrds
Are you not able to use the Roon Core wirelessly to your Phantoms via the Mac Mini?
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
Which Netgear router are you using? Roon is quite demanding regarding network stability and is known for acting up on flakey connections. Does the speakers disappear from the Devialet app when they disappear from Roon?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(31-Jul-2021, 18:52)ragwo Wrote: Which Netgear router are you using? Roon is quite demanding regarding network stability and is known for acting up on flakey connections. Does the speakers disappear from the Devialet app when they disappear from Roon?

Hi,

I am using a Netgear GS208 which has been trouble-free for all other uses so far, it looks like that:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS208.aspx

Yes the speakers usually disappear from the Devialet app as well when not available in Roon.

Thx.
(31-Jul-2021, 15:57)avta Wrote: Are you not able to use the Roon Core wirelessly to your Phantoms via the Mac Mini?

Hi,

If you mean Airplay from the Mac Mini to the Dialog, that was the first thing I tried and it was worse than now. Most of the time I could not get the phantoms to play. I think the Airplay in my Dialog is Airplay 1 only and not very well implemented.

The 2015 Silver Phantoms are not Airplay capable so it is either Ethernet or Optical from the Dialog.

Thx,
(01-Aug-2021, 05:02)Syver Wrote:
(31-Jul-2021, 18:52)ragwo Wrote: Which Netgear router are you using? Roon is quite demanding regarding network stability and is known for acting up on flakey connections. Does the speakers disappear from the Devialet app when they disappear from Roon?

Hi,

I am using a Netgear GS208 which has been trouble-free for all other uses so far, it looks like that:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS208.aspx

Yes the speakers usually disappear from the Devialet app as well when not available in Roon.

Thx.
Have you tried to reset the speakers? Otherwise it sounds like a network issue when they also disappear from the Devialet app. You should try another router. What kind of modem do you use?

Edit:
At first I thought you wrote you were using a Netgear router, not a switch. My bad. Have you tried to bypass the switch?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Hi Syver

I have similar problems as you - interestingly I'm using a Netgear GS308 switch which is a very similar model to yours.

Every so often the Devialets vanish both from Roon and the Devialet app - I've always thought the problem was the router which I have always rebooted and then everything seems OK till next time but I am now starting to wonder if its the switch thats causing the problem. I also have problems sometimes with other devices connected to this switch especially when streaming is involved.

I also get periodical 'An audio file is loading slowly' messages from Roon but other times its fine - I've never been able to work out what's causing it but I've never considered it might be the switch?

The issues are a bit random but I need to restart the router several times a week - next time it happens I will just try to power down the switch and see if that fixes things - will keep you updated.

kantblue
(01-Aug-2021, 11:29)kantblue Wrote: Hi Syver

I have similar problems as you - interestingly I'm using a Netgear GS308 switch which is a very similar model to yours.

Every so often the Devialets vanish both from Roon and the Devialet app - I've always thought the problem was the router which I have always rebooted and then everything seems OK till next time but I am now starting to wonder if its the switch thats causing the problem. I also have problems sometimes with other devices connected to this switch especially when streaming is involved.

I also get periodical 'An audio file is loading slowly' messages from Roon but other times its fine - I've never been able to work out what's causing it but I've never considered it might be the switch?

The issues are a bit random but I need to restart the router several times a week - next time it happens I will just try to power down the switch and see if that fixes things - will keep you updated.

kantblue

Hi Kantblue,

I may be on to something: I have increased the latency in the Devialet App (under AVSync) and moved the slider all the way to the right where it says stability. 
I have not had a dropout since then. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I may be wrong but would be very surprised if the Netgear switch was the culprit. i have used it for everything: video streaming, gaming … and it has never let me down.

Best,