Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Res streaming Qobuz
I was hoping the latest software release would resolve my 192 kHz file streaming issue but no such luck.
I have pair of Gold phantom 1 running the latest software.
They are hardwired via Ethernet switch and I can play Hi Res up to 96 without any issues via UPnP.
When I try Qobuz 192 files I get a regular pause in the music every 40 to 70 seconds. The time counter keeps running and when the music cuts back in it is from the point it stopped and the counter goes back to the time the music stopped. So I am not losing any music it just cuts out then recommences after about 10 seconds.
Today I stumbled on something. If I pause the track at the start just before the music begins then press play then the track plays all the way through without interruption. If I do this at the start of each track I can play the whole album but if I do not pause before the next track then it will stop throughout the track every 40 to 70 seconds.
I can pause the track at any point and it will play to the end without interruption it doesn’t only behave if it’s done at the start of the track.
I don’t understand the concepts of streaming that well but it seems to me that the packets of music buffer in the Phantom DAC whilst paused then plays the entire track but when the next tack is lined up it loses the buffer so it reverts to stopping. Does that make sense or can someone suggest what is going on?
I tried to get Devialet to own this problem earlier in the year and they said to wait for the next software release but it obviously didn’t do anything.
I know it’s not the end of the world and I can just not select 192 rate files in Qobuz but it is annoying that this expensive equipment can’t handle rates that far cheaper solutions can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same issue here I have reported the bug to Devialet, also waiting for the update

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
(09-Dec-2022, 18:09)steve_denney Wrote: I was hoping the latest software release would resolve my 192 kHz file streaming issue but no such luck.
They are hardwired via Ethernet switch and I can play Hi Res up to 96 without any issues via UPnP.
When I try Qobuz 192 files I get a regular pause in the music every 40 to 70 seconds. The time counter keeps running and when the music cuts back in it is from the point it stopped and the counter goes back to the time the music stopped. So I am not losing any music it just cuts out then recommences after about 10 seconds.
Today I stumbled on something. If I pause the track at the start just before the music begins then press play then the track plays all the way through without interruption. If I do this at the start of each track I can play the whole album but if I do not pause before the next track then it will stop throughout the track every 40 to 70 seconds.
I can pause the track at any point and it will play to the end without interruption it doesn’t only behave if it’s done at the start of the track.
I don’t understand the concepts of streaming that well but it seems to me that the packets of music buffer in the Phantom DAC whilst paused then plays the entire track but when the next tack is lined up it loses the buffer so it reverts to stopping. Does that make sense or can someone suggest what is going on?
I tried to get Devialet to own this problem earlier in the year and they said to wait for the next software release but it obviously didn’t do anything.
I know it’s not the end of the world and I can just not select 192 rate files in Qobuz but it is annoying that this expensive equipment can’t handle rates that far cheaper solutions can.

FWIW I use WIIM Pro and it streams at 192. (My mini did too) Qobuz to WIIM via Ethernet to Phanton II via optical
(09-Dec-2022, 18:09)steve_denney Wrote: I was hoping the latest software release would resolve my 192 kHz file streaming issue but no such luck.

UPnP is a real headache for me as well. I reconfigured my whole system with Ethernet, bought a new Server (Innuos Zen mini MK3) and I still have UPnP issues, mostly when streaming HiRes Qobuz. This is really disappointing. I forwarded my experiences to Devialet incl. logs etc. Hopefully they will be able to fix this ... It seems the UPnP implementation by Devialet is not very resilient. I do not get why there is no better support for the LMS UPnP Bridge. Apart from Roon it is the only (potentially) wireless means to play HiRes Audio on Devialet Phantom.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
The UPnP implementation has been a headache since the first beta release several years ago, and I don't know if Devialet has done anything to fix the problems. Have you tried Bubble UPnP? That's the app I had least trouble with. LMS UPnP bridge has never worked as it should with the Phantom. Please bare in mind that everything over 24/48 is downsampled by the Phantom.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I use IOS devices but have tried Mconnect and 8player pro as well as the Innuos Sense app and they all demonstrate the same issue when using hires UPnP

The apps play ok up to 24/96 but anything higher and it will cut out and then restart after a few seconds.

As I said in my previous post I can pause the track at any point and then resume and that track will play the remainder of the track ok but when the next track starts it will cutout again at some point during the track.

Yes thanks I realise anything above 24/48 will be downsampled and I am ok with it if Devialet could get higher res tracks just to play.

Maybe one day they will sort it.

Do you have the possibility to downsample to 24/96 in the Innuos app as a quick/permanent fix until Devialet comes up with a solution? As I recall Devialet Phantom doesn't support 24/192 after DOS 2, so there might not be a solution from Devialet ever.
My Phantom Voyage
I had thought about that too. There’s no feature for this at the moment but I will raise a request with Nuno Vitorino at Innuos to see if they can change the Phantom UPnP profile to do just that.
Your comment has spurred me on and I will update when I hear back.

Not knowing how some of this stuff hangs together it might be a question whether the Sense app just passes through the Qobuz to Phantom handshaking or whether the Sense app controls the link and can set a max bitrate between Qobuz and Phantom.
Cheers

Have you tried Roon? It will cover all your needs, musical that is, and you can get rid of the Innuos and free some cash for more Phantoms, and/or a lifetime Roon subscription.
My Phantom Voyage
(26-Jan-2023, 22:57)steve_denney Wrote: I had thought about that too. There’s no feature for this at the moment but I will raise a request with Nuno Vitorino at Innuos to see if they can change the Phantom UPnP profile to do just that.
Your comment has spurred me on and I will update when I hear back.

Not knowing how some of this stuff hangs together it might be a question whether the Sense app just passes through the Qobuz to Phantom handshaking or whether the Sense app controls the link and can set a max bitrate between Qobuz and Phantom.
Cheers

As far as I know it is already downsampled to 96KHz. If you look into the Innuos Sense settings (there is a knowledge base article about this) you will find the LMS UI for UPnP Bridge. It shows that it is transcoded to FLAC at 96KHz for the Devialet (if you used the Phantom Profile in the Innuos Sense setup). I have tested disabling the transcoding but keeping the 96KHz and adding “-pcm” to the codec (to the effect of disabling PCM streaming which seems to be an issue with the Phantoms) with limited success (your mileage may vary). However, be very careful when messing around with these settings and always disable the Bridge before changing something. You may end up in a situation where you have to completely reset/rebuild your server. Matter of fact, changing something in the LMS backend is not supported by Innuos.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)