Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi-res to iPhone?
I fear that I already know the answer to this, but is it possible to stream high-resolution audio over Bluetooth to an iOS device using Gemini? I’ve been trying different options, and it always seems to downsample to CD quality. I’ve been trying it with a new iPhone 12 Pro.

Everything I’ve searched indicates that iOS phones don’t support higher resolution over Bluetooth, but lots of the articles I found are pretty old.

Here’s Roon’s signal path to show what I’m getting:

(05-Jan-2021, 19:10)diamar Wrote: I fear that I already know the answer to this, but is it possible to stream high-resolution audio over Bluetooth to an iOS device using Gemini? I’ve been trying different options, and it always seems to downsample to CD quality. I’ve been trying it with a new iPhone 12 Pro.

Everything I’ve searched indicates that iOS phones don’t support higher resolution over Bluetooth, but lots of the articles I found are pretty old.

Here’s Roon’s signal path to show what I’m getting:
Even CD quality is not possible over Bluetooth. Aptx is still lossy despite their marketing. Apple is restricted to AAC as far as I am aware, roughly equivalent to 250mbps mp3.

LDAC is the only format that gets really close to CD quality but claims hires performance. The Gemini doesn't support LDAC and Android is needed.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Thanks. I’d not been paying much attention to the evolving Bluetooth stuff, but the Gemini Earbuds (which I like so far) made me yearn for higher resolution. Smile