Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High output mc pick up settings?
I have recently bought a new TT with a Hana EH high output MC pick up. Hana recommends 47 kOhms and 100(?) µF. The output is 2.0 mV. Should I use the MM or MC setting in the Configurator? Does it matter?
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
High Output MC like yours must be driven by MM
In the advanced configurator you can set the gain up to 5000uV, which equates to 5mV, so I think it is best to use the MC settings. I would allow a little headroom above the 2mV setting to avoid clipping, so maybe set to 2300uV. 47 k ohm is very high, so just set to high, the 100uF can be entered as is.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
For better signal/noise ratio I would recommend MM with 47 kOhms and 100pF or 200 pF

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(19-Sep-2018, 16:39)Elztalbiker Wrote: For better signal/noise ratio I would recommend MM with 47 kOhms and 100pF or 200 pF

That is a very interesting comment.  I believe you can set the gain to 2 mV if set to MM or MC, but I was not aware that the MM would then offer a better signal to noise ratio.  Can you explain why?  This might be something very useful to keep in mind for those bothered by the phono stage hiss.

Also, I assume the “high” stetting for MM is indeed 47 k ohm, is this the same for MC, does anyone know?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thank you for your answers, although it seems that there isn't a clear answer.

From the Configurator: "Resistive and capacitive parallel loading of MC cartridges, useless and disabled for MM cartridges.
Should match the cartridge manufacturer's recommendation to achieve optimal frequency response and overall tone balance" and

"MM: Moving Magnet, high level output cartridge, low input sensitivity, no cartridge loading"

I will try the MC setting as @Confused recommended first.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Devialet Gemini
I have ortofon cadenza Black low input With suit ortofon verto ,and i use MM settings on devialet, and it works Wery Well.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
Hey Frejo

you could test both. High output MC cardridge have a high level output like MM but with the possibilities of MC cardridge.

My english is not the best but I will try to explain the complex steps.

Phono amplification is the most difficult in audio because the low volts.

On a record you have a signal / noise ratio. The target is to hold this level of this ratio and the signal without distorsion.

But there are the resistance from your cardridge, from your headshell cable, from your tonearm cable and from the cinch cable itself. All this with an atenna effect. And then there is the electromagnatic induction to high frequencies also, last and least the resistance and the ground noise of your amp.

All this have influence over the all signal to noise ratio and the performance in sound.

You will hear every step.

Cheers

Hi Frejo, can you give me an update on this? Which setting you finally end up with?
I just got my Devialet Expert 200 and I'm struggling with the setting for Dynavector 20x2H MC cartridge.
According to the website it has similar to yours:

• Type : High output MC cartridge with Flux damper and Softened magnetism
• Output voltage : 2.8mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/sec.)
• Frequency response : 20 - 20,000Hz (±2dB)
• Channel Separation : 25 dB (at 1KHz)
• Channel balance : 1.0 dB (at 1KHz)
• Compliance : 12 x 10-6 cm/dyne
• Impedance : R=150 ohms
• Stylus tip : Micro Ridge Nude diamond
• Cantilever : 6mm length hard aluminum pipe
• Tracking force : 1.8 - 2.2 grams
• Recommended load impedance: >1000 ohms
• Weight : 9.2grams
I have only tried the MC-setting. Works fine I think. Resistance set to high and 2000µv in my case.
Devialet Gemini