Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High quality music
As the phantoms are torally inert from what I can make out - I would have thought the only benefit to a stand is to make sure the drivers are suitably far away from the floor / wall / corner?

Are your accoustastands ontop of some other traditional speaker stand? Or just sat on a desk / flat surface?

If the latter it’s inrerestinf to hear raising them by such a small amount could make any difference...
My speakers is close to the rear wall about 25cm and the speaker facing to the center of the living room but with a little tilt rto the right so again about 25cm from the wall
(15-Jul-2019, 15:39)Jamington2004 Wrote: As the phantoms are torally inert  from what I can make out - I would have thought the only benefit to a stand is to make sure the drivers are suitably far away from the floor / wall / corner?

Are your accoustastands ontop of some other traditional  speaker stand? Or just sat on a desk / flat surface?

If the latter it’s inrerestinf to hear raising them by such a small amount could make any difference...
The Phantoms as a stereo pair should be treated like any stereo pair of speakers. The room has the greatest influence and positioning the speakers correctly will help. It is more than putting them away from floor, wall, corner, some ideas here

My Phantoms sit on Isoacoustics stands which in turn sit on Triangle speaker stands.

If using Phantoms on a desk or other furniture, the Isoacoustics stands, which can be tilted,  are used to align the speakers to ear level. It also reduces vibration which causes smearing of instruments.
When I visited Oxford Audio this time last year for the Devialet session (this years session is tomorrow by the way), I was told there is no point trying hi res files into the Phantoms. The DAC in the Phantoms cannot resolve hi res. It would take a complete re design to do do. Therefore the best rate possible is CD quality that Tidal hifi quality can deliver.

It was helpful advice because I was thinking of trying Qobuz hi res streaming but decided to stay with Tidal.

I think the best resolution possible with Phantoms is to use Tidal etc via Spark App through Dialog. This renders the music locally via Dialog and that is as good as you can get with Phantom/Dialog setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am in inclined to think there is a misunderstanding somewhere. Per the Devialet’s website: UPnP lets you stream locally-stored content from any networked device (computer, smartphone, tablet, NAS drive) via third-party applications. Simply open any UPnP-compatible app and select a track.
What you get: High-resolution streaming up to 24 bits/192kHz.

Seems there is some reason to seek hi res audio.
(17-Jul-2019, 20:00)steve_denney Wrote: When I visited Oxford Audio this time last year for the Devialet session (this years session is tomorrow by the way), I was told there is no point trying hi res files into the Phantoms. The DAC in the Phantoms cannot resolve hi res. It would take a complete re design to do do. Therefore the best rate possible is CD quality that Tidal hifi quality can deliver.

It was helpful advice because I was thinking of trying Qobuz hi res streaming but decided to stay with Tidal.

I think the best resolution possible with Phantoms is to use Tidal etc via Spark App through Dialog. This renders the music locally via Dialog and that is as good as you can get with Phantom/Dialog setup.

The DAC used in the original Phantom is TI PCM1798 24bits/192kHz and therefore perfectly capable resolving Hires PCM. It would also be contradictory to the specs of all Phantom speakers that are specified to more than 22kHz hf range (CD range) and the -3dB point at 25kHz or even 27kHz in case of the Golds. Maybe Devialet said this about the Phantom Reactor.
(17-Jul-2019, 23:12)streamy Wrote:
(17-Jul-2019, 20:00)steve_denney Wrote: When I visited Oxford Audio this time last year for the Devialet session (this years session is tomorrow by the way), I was told there is no point trying hi res files into the Phantoms. The DAC in the Phantoms cannot resolve hi res. It would take a complete re design to do do. Therefore the best rate possible is CD quality that Tidal hifi quality can deliver.

The DAC used in the original Phantom is TI PCM1798 24bits/192kHz and therefore perfectly capable resolving Hires PCM. It would also be contradictory to the specs of all Phantom speakers that are specified to more than 22kHz hf range (CD range) and the -3dB point at 25kHz or even 27kHz in case of the Golds. Maybe Devialet said this about the Phantom Reactor.

I recall something similar but cannot find the quote after searching.

What I recall is that the DAC is capable of 192kHz but it was considered that the tweeter was only capable of upto 96 kHz.
Thanks Streamy, that has jogged my memory too. I agree it was stated more like your recollection.

I didn’t go to Oxford Audio today because nothing has changed in the last year for Phantom users.

What Mathieu states last year though stopped me from trying anything better than CD quality streaming.

(18-Jul-2019, 17:55)steve_denney Wrote: Thanks Alan, that has jogged my memory too. I agree it was stated more like your recollection.

I didn’t go to Oxford Audio today because nothing has changed in the last year for Phantom users.

What Mathieu states last year though stopped me from trying anything better than CD quality streaming.

(18-Jul-2019, 17:56)steve_denney Wrote:
(18-Jul-2019, 17:55)steve_denney Wrote: Thanks Alan, that has jogged my memory too. I agree it was stated more like your recollection.

One of the complaints I have about the Golds is that I bought them in order to have an improved listening experience over that which I would typically have with either Sonos or even my strictly mid-fi setup.  This end has proved elusive in general however because I am either sacrificing sound for convenience or always question whether the sound I am hearing taps into the full potential of the golds.  Yesterday however, I listened to Tidal using a Mac mini and optical out and while I am still uncertain if the phantoms were tapped out, there was a noticeable, if not significant, improvement in what I heard over a typical airplay/Bluetooth listening session.  There was even a marked improvement listening between Tidal’s “hifi” and the master recordings which was reminiscent for me of when I first heard a CD (The Who’s Pinball Wizard)  In short, I may not have heard the best that the golds have to offer, but I definitely have a new bench mark in sound quality.