Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from Roon
I just did some careful listening comparing and Ethernet connected Raspberry Pi Roon Bridge connected via un optimised USB to D200 versus the same 24/96 track ( Paul Simon "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" ) via AIR from iTunes and the AIR sounded SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER. Since in every other way Roon is the music serving solution I want to use, It seems I

must optimise the Raspberry <--> USB <---> D200 connection,
Or
Hope that Devialet add Roon Bridge R point functionality to D200
Or
Find another RAAT endpoint that outputs AES or a better input.

By the way AIR has always worked reasonably well for me ( one reboot needed per week of listening)
Mark
iTunes & TIDAL HiFi --> ROON on iMac --> ROON RAAT over Ethernet --> D440 Pro-->  ProAc  D40R floorstanding speakers (SAM)
Also:  Linn LP12/Ittok turntable Cables: Nordost Shiva power, Nordost Flatline2 speaker cable

Dublin,  Ireland
Have you tried using a HiFi Berry Digi+, it uses an I2S connection and puts out a great signal down a coax or optical to the Devialet, mine sounds wonderful.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(04-May-2016, 11:57)Markpd Wrote: I just did some careful listening comparing and Ethernet connected Raspberry Pi Roon Bridge connected via un optimised USB to D200 versus the same 24/96 track ( Paul Simon "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" ) via AIR from iTunes and the AIR sounded SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER. Since in every other way Roon is the music serving solution I want to use, It seems I

must optimise the Raspberry <-->  USB <---> D200 connection,
Or
Hope that Devialet add Roon Bridge R point functionality to D200
Or
Find another RAAT endpoint that outputs AES or a better input.

By the way AIR has always worked reasonably  well for me ( one reboot needed per week of listening)
Mark

Do you have a spare notebook or old PC running Win 8.1 around your house? If yes, removed all unnecessary apps/programs including anti-virus/Trojan, etc. Install a free Fidelizer 7.1, AIR 2.1.3 and RoonBridge 1.0 Build 19. Connect it to a hub in your house, can be anyway, as long as in the same network. Then you can just setup your Roon to use the RoonBridge/Devialet AIR as your audio output to your Le200.

If you need detail steps, please let me know. Cheers.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I'm running Roon 1.2 on a (home built) HTPC on Linux. HTPC motherboard has an optical output and an 'audio optimized' USB output (whatever that means).
So far I have been running the optical output. Sounds stunning to me, but is limited to about 88 kHz  formats.
I found that the Devialet USB connetion is found and works through Roon up to DSD64. Jriver seems not to be able to play over USB (but does over optical)
Planning to compare optical and USB connections and also direct CD player, maybe also Win10/Air2.1.3.

For me Air stopped having frequent drop-outs by migrating from Win7 to Win10 by the way.

If anyone is interested I can report on my findings...

System: HTPC@Roon/Jriver, Devialet 120, Sonics Allegra