Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Stream From a NAS Drive To Phantom!
Hi All,

I'm sure many of you have already figured this out but I thought I would put a post up for those who were thinking about how to stream from a NAS Drive to Phantom.

I have just been playing around with streaming from my NAS, I run 2 stereo Silver Phantom's upstairs with a Dialog close by and a white Phantom downstairs, all Phantoms are wireless and to my surprise I have just been running the 24/192 version of Hotel California to all 3 Phantoms without any problems.

Basically to connect to a NAS Drive all you need to do is point the desktop version of spark to your NAS Drive under settings, it will then build a database of your music collection which then can be accessed through Spark on Desktop or tablet etc, seems to work a treat :-)

The only thing to bear in mind is that your computer needs to be on to act as a bridge.

Apologies if this has already been posted.
@Paul/connect NAS drive in Spark.
I just wrote to Devialet Support that it does not work correct in Spark and Windows 7. The userpath information in windows register seems to be wrong. I changed it and I could see my NAS drive and select/play the files.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I have to admit I was surprised that it worked, very happy though :-)
Paul, are you on a Windows platform ?

(22-Sep-2015, 19:32)karebe Wrote:
(22-Sep-2015, 18:29)jvi Wrote: Paul, are you on a Windows platform ?

Hi,

I am very sorry that I am not Paul.

But I have a NAS and I use network drives in Windows 10 and before in Windows 8.1. It works without any problem.
thanks for your info. My system is Windows 7. In W7 the attempt to connect to a subdirectory on a NAS goes wrong. I wrote to the Devialet Support Desk (attached pictures). I use a circumvention in which I change/correct the related "user path" value in the Windows registry. After that I can see/select the files directly from the NAS.
(22-Sep-2015, 20:58)karebe Wrote:
(22-Sep-2015, 20:00)jvi Wrote:
(22-Sep-2015, 19:32)karebe Wrote: Hi,

I am very sorry that I am not Paul.

But I have a NAS and I use network drives in Windows 10 and before in Windows 8.1. It works without any problem.
thanks for your info. My system is Windows 7. In W7 the attempt to connect to a subdirectory on a NAS goes wrong. I wrote to the Devialet Support Desk (attached pictures). I use a circumvention in which I change/correct the related "user path" value in the Windows registry. After that I can see/select the files directly from the NAS.

I did it the old-fashioned way. Connected the music NAS directory as a network drive and selected this drive in Spark.
Yes, until today I used that method too. But I think that is not "direct from NAS".
Hi
Paul's method is okay.. but as pointed by a user before , the desktop/Laptop need to be always on to serve as bridge

Came accross that technique last  month and was not happy to have my Powerfull machine always on...just for playing music...

I now rely on my SONOS ZP to pull music from the NAS... It's a straight forward method.. simple to use..

A new update is imminent (was told probably next Monday...) maybe the NAs support will be included...

Despite the excellent quality of the Sonos zone player, it's always good to have a diect connection to the source file...that's why I'm anxiouly waiting for the Internet radio and NAS support to be implemented  and I will get rid of my SONOS ZP...

Angenet
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
hi

In that case, my love story with Sonos will continue...

Cheers
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
I use a Mac which is always on at work so is not a problem for me.

I use the Sonos Connect also, the only problem is that it is limited to 16 bit, at least with this work around you can access your 24 bit library which is pretty handy as for me that is growing all the time, as is my DSD collection, hopefully that will be added at some point for Phantom.