Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about Audio converter ?
What is the "mp3 player"? Is it a computer? Going straight to a digital output instead of via analogue has got to be a better route?
(21-Sep-2016, 23:39)booshtukka Wrote: What is the "mp3 player"? Is it a computer? Going straight to a digital output instead of via analogue has got to be a better route?

OPs post 6 in the thread answers this. Probably a portable player of some kind which the OP prefers to use
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(21-Sep-2016, 16:50)JordanKim Wrote: Yes, you're right! But I want to use my player, it's more comfortable and handy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you shore?
Use qobuz. Dialog and spark!
(21-Sep-2016, 23:39)booshtukka Wrote: What is the "mp3 player"? Is it a computer? Going straight to a digital output instead of via analogue has got to be a better route?

No, it's not computer, MP player which has 3.5mm stereo jack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(21-Sep-2016, 17:24)ogs Wrote:
(21-Sep-2016, 16:53)intouch1 Wrote: in all honesty, don't bother.....phantoms don't have enough imaging or staging

Have you experienced this in your own system?

I have indeed. with an Astell&Kern 120 II and Hirez material up to DSD.....and as mentioned by me somewhere else the Phantoms IMO opinion are mid-fi at best.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great product for what it is....I have 2 pairs that I got to use on a boat. But high-end sounding, they are certainly not.
Let alone for the reason of compression when played louder....i.e. the bass loosing a lot of bottom end for the sake of being loud.
The midrange is far from what I call a sweet midrange. Not to compare to larger setups, but just to say compare to focal Diablo Utopia.

For clarification, both my pairs are Silvers. but I doubt the gold to be much better simply for the change of some processing and tweeter material.

Keep in mind that Wilson Audio uses a silk dome tweeter after having used titanium for years.

Hope this makes sense.

snapshot of some of the gear the I have for comparison......
(22-Sep-2016, 08:58)intouch1 Wrote:
(21-Sep-2016, 17:24)ogs Wrote:
(21-Sep-2016, 16:53)intouch1 Wrote: in all honesty, don't bother.....phantoms don't have enough imaging or staging

Have you experienced this in your own system?

I have indeed. with an Astell&Kern 120 II and Hirez material up to DSD.....and as mentioned by me somewhere else the Phantoms IMO opinion are mid-fi at best.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great product for what it is....I have 2 pairs that I got to use on a boat. But high-end sounding, they are certainly not.
Let alone for the reason of compression when played louder....i.e. the bass loosing a lot of bottom end for the sake of being loud.
The midrange is far from what I call a sweet midrange. Not to compare to larger setups, but just to say compare to focal Diablo Utopia.

For clarification, both my pairs are Silvers. but I doubt the gold to be much better simply for the change of some processing and tweeter material.

Keep in mind that Wilson Audio uses a silk dome tweeter after having used titanium for years.

Hope this makes sense.
While I agree that the Phantom could have a much better midrange presentation, the Whites I tested did reasonably well on imaging. After I made a RC filter for them I had very nice staging too. I rarely play louder than 85 dB SPL so I can not comment on compression and loosing bass. Phantoms need proper placement and stands. Judging by the image you've uploaded placing Phantoms on their packaging is not the best.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(22-Sep-2016, 09:42)ogs Wrote:
(22-Sep-2016, 08:58)intouch1 Wrote:
(21-Sep-2016, 17:24)ogs Wrote: Have you experienced this in your own system?

Hope this makes sense.
While I agree that the Phantom could have a much better midrange presentation, the Whites I tested did reasonably well on imaging. After I made a RC filter for them I had very nice staging too. I rarely play louder than 85 dB SPL so I can not comment on compression and loosing bass. Phantoms need proper placement and stands. Judging by the image you've uploaded placing Phantoms on their packaging is not the best.

ogs, that is certainly not how I listen to any of my setups.....its all just sitting there as I was fiddling around....when listening I make sure the setup is as best as could be.
I like to interchange amps speakers etc.
(22-Sep-2016, 09:58)intouch1 Wrote: when listening I make sure the setup is as best as could be.

Well I thought you would Smile  My (very modest) speakers also outperform Phantoms in some respects so I understand what you are saying. I'd suggest this is not within the OPs original question. Running from a 3.5 mm output on a portable player is more convenience than high-end so imaging and such may not be the most important.
Devialetless!