Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about a trifield stereo set up with 3 Phantoms
Has anyone tried trifield? Left, right, center with stereo input?  I have heard good things about this kind of set up.  My 2 golds sound amazing!  But, while I was setting them up, I saw a center (mixed).  Just wondering. 

https://onetwothreeaudio.wordpress.com/2...el-stereo/
Interesting! I am curious how the dialog would handle the processing. Since recordings are in stereo, would centre channel be a summation of L/R or only common signals, which ostensibly to me should be the case.
I have two silvers running as left and right and have been thinking about throwing a gold in the centre. Would be very interested to hear opinions from anyone who has already tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(20-Sep-2016, 04:03)Dre Wrote: Interesting! I am curious how the dialog would handle the processing. Since recordings are in stereo, would centre channel be a summation of L/R or only common signals, which ostensibly to me should be the case.

Dialog would need to have special processing to create a proper three channel signal from stereo. It is indeed very interesting, but I have seen no mention of this from Devialet so I doubt it exists. This is actually multichannel so it should be possible to play back full mch material too if one adds rear speakers.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Without special processing I'm using 3 Phanom Silver in triangular setup. Two configured as stereo in one room are placed left and right in front and the the third configured as single in another room is place in the back of my sitting position. Each is about 2m away from listing position. This gives me a dipole-like imaging that is more spatial than the stereo setup. I tried placement of the third speaker in front, but it resulted in narrowing down the stereo effect, which is natural considering the center speaker plays a summed signal from left and right channels. It would be very interesting when we could have an influence how left and right channels would be processed in Spark: summation, substraction, different attenuations etc. At least with the multi-room configuration I can select different volumes when using the desktop version of Spark. Devialet at some point crippeled down the mobile version and removed individual volume setting in the mobile apps of Spark. Looking forward to see this feature coming back in a future update.
I actually am wondering about four speaker setup. Two pointing forward, two pointing in opposite direction for a bipole effect. Should enlarge the soundstage considerably but give a more diffuse stereo effect rather than pinpoint effect.