Poll: How did you obtain your music files
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Vast majority paid for (CD rip or paid download)
67.24%
39 67.24%
A significant number copied from friends files CD's or similar
8.62%
5 8.62%
A significant number downloaded for free
6.90%
4 6.90%
A significant number not paid for but obtained legitimately (inherited / divorce settlement / other)
0%
0 0%
A combination of 2, 3 or 4 above
6.90%
4 6.90%
I'd rather not say officer.
10.34%
6 10.34%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big is your music library supplemental - how did you obtain your music files.
Our music collection is quite small compared to that of many others, I think. A quick count shows about 2700 tracks in iTunes, almost all of which are CD rips. A few are iTunes purchases, and a handful are downloaded free files; these are mostly ambient / chill mixes that I believe were posted for download. We have some other CD's not yet ripped, perhaps another 120 or so, and about 180 records, so our total album or track count is modest.

Knowing a bit about how much time and effort goes into making music, I don't think it should be taken for free. I'm not on a high horse, I simply have some appreciation for the creation process (and cost) and I think the potential for fair reward should not be eroded.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Voted paid majority, but I'm sure there are the odd borrowed CDs, or shared files that came onto the system for one reason or another - a reasonably small % though.

That said, there are probably also albums that I've paid for multiple times over the years, upgrades from cassette (even a few minidisks) to CD, re-buying due to lending and never seeing them again, or losing, or scratching, and then also re-buying some due to being bought initially in inferior quality, or rights managed. Overall I'm pretty sure it worked out very much in the music businesses favour.

(And let's not get into VHS>DVD>Bluray re-buying on the visual side, often from the same conglomerates…. )

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(03-Apr-2016, 19:22)Damon Wrote: Knowing a bit about how much time and effort goes into making music, I don't think it should be taken for free. I'm not on a high horse, I simply have some appreciation for the creation process (and cost) and I think the potential for fair reward should not be eroded.

Respect that and I Agree !
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"