Poll: How is your Expert/Expert Pro connected?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Stereo
50.67%
38 50.67%
Stereo Bi-Wire
8.00%
6 8.00%
Dual-Mono
32.00%
24 32.00%
Dual-Mono Bi-Wire
8.00%
6 8.00%
Bi-Amp Two Stereo Units (Horizontal)
1.33%
1 1.33%
Bi-Amp Two Stereo Units (Vertical)
0%
0 0%
Bi-Amp Two Dual-Mono Units (Horizontal)
0%
0 0%
Bi-Amp Two Dual-Mono Units (Vertical)
0%
0 0%
Total 75 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is your Expert/Expert Pro connected?
(03-Jul-2019, 19:50)Greg Wrote: I like this apart from the bi-wiring bit. My speakers are quality DIY items and I have also used quality hook up wire and external crossovers with boutique components. It’s made a big positive difference to sound. As for bi-wiring, been there and done that. I actually heard poorer sound with it. With my D250, it actually ran hotter bi-wired. Think about it, no sound improvement, double the price, double the capacitance. Bi-wiring doesn’t make any sense apart for in the pockets of the retailer, and a single run of cable sounds better. It’s a ‘no brainer’ in my experience. An easy experiment to do by you bi-wirers. I recommend you give it a try.

Despite the personal debates, scientific studies have shown that bi-wiring has benefits.  Hence, the issue is not whether there are benefits to bi-wiring but rather how tangible those benefits really are.  It has been shown that there are signal differences between bi-wiring and not bi-wiring but determining if those differences are improvements has been much harder to ferret out.  Furthermore, the changes that have been measured have been documented as to be so small that they should be inconsequential.

Some time ago I performed experiments with and without bi-wring for the simple fact that my previous amplifiers and speakers were both built to support it.  I concluded that by bi-wiring I improved the response of the mid and upper bass frequencies.  However, looking back I have begun to question how much of that improvement was actually due to bi-wiring versus eliminating the inferior jumper cables and using lower gauge (thicker) conductors.

Since I construct my own speaker cables, quality and price can be controlled so that being an issue is rather moot.  Although, I am currently bi-wiring the Devialet I do plan to revisit my earlier experiments only this time taking more care about what's not a factor as what is. Regardless of the outcome I will continue to bi-wire because I can and I want to. Wink
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
(06-Jul-2019, 02:26)RebelMan Wrote:
(03-Jul-2019, 19:50)Greg Wrote: I like this apart from the bi-wiring bit. My speakers are quality DIY items and I have also used quality hook up wire and external crossovers with boutique components. It’s made a big positive difference to sound. As for bi-wiring, been there and done that. I actually heard poorer sound with it. With my D250, it actually ran hotter bi-wired. Think about it, no sound improvement, double the price, double the capacitance. Bi-wiring doesn’t make any sense apart for in the pockets of the retailer, and a single run of cable sounds better. It’s a ‘no brainer’ in my experience. An easy experiment to do by you bi-wirers. I recommend you give it a try.

Despite the personal debates, scientific studies have shown that bi-wiring has benefits.  Hence, the issue is not whether there are benefits to bi-wiring but rather how tangible those benefits really are.  It has been shown that there are signal differences between bi-wiring and not bi-wiring but determining if those differences are improvements has been much harder to ferret out.  Furthermore, the changes that have been measured have been documented as to be so small that they should be inconsequential.

Some time ago I performed experiments with and without bi-wring for the simple fact that my previous amplifiers and speakers were both built to support it.  I concluded that by bi-wiring I improved the response of the mid and upper bass frequencies.  However, looking back I have begun to question how much of that improvement was actually due to bi-wiring versus eliminating the inferior jumper cables and using lower gauge (thicker) conductors.

Since I construct my own speaker cables, quality and price can be controlled so that being an issue is rather moot.  Although, I am currently bi-wiring the Devialet I do plan to revisit my earlier experiments only this time taking more care about what's not a factor as what is. Regardless of the outcome I will continue to bi-wire because I can and I want to. Wink

Concerning the studies and measurements, I have to confess that I was left a bit hanging out. 
I have seen for instance measurement with two tones showing a difference between mono and bi wire. 

However, I was frustrated that the measurements were performed at the wire, which to me is not the most meaningful place for that particular question. So I am still left with the unanswered question of whether it Manhès a difference of not at the transducer posts, after the filters. 

Typically if you have a tweeter cut at 3kHz with 18dB or more per octave, is there any impact of lowering the IMD at 500Hz for instance?

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France