Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How open are Audiophiles to feedback?
I really enjoyed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZN79ZoSe7E

Love his style and wardrobe! Unforetunately I find myself in the second group ... Confused
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Information 
(18-Oct-2019, 10:04)baconbrain Wrote: I really enjoyed this:

Love his style and wardrobe! Unforetunately I find myself in the second group ...  Confused
Thank you, I like Steve Guttenberg and what he writes and says. By second group, I assume the ones who are not satisfied? I am now in first group who enjoy the music, but I still look for little things to improve against a benchmark sound (by listening to more expensive setups, live accoustic concerts).
I help run an audio club in Cape Town. We have been fortunate to listen to many top-end systems (and most of them use Devialet electronics)

When the guys come to my house, we sit down and listen for 2 hours.
Then the suggestions come. Some are obvious (reduce the bass), some not so (move the speaker a teeny bit) and some a bit over the top (use some van der Hul cable). But its a useful exercise

We have also compiled a 40-track test program using many different sorts of music, and to let the audience think they have some say in the matter, let them choose tracks

There are favourites - Ry Cooder - Nobody; Nora Jones - Don't know why; Bela Flack - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo; Yuri Honing Trio - Walking on the Moon; Allan Taylor - Colour to the Moon
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(18-Oct-2019, 11:36)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(18-Oct-2019, 10:04)baconbrain Wrote: I really enjoyed this:

Love his style and wardrobe! Unforetunately I find myself in the second group ...  Confused
Thank you, I like Steve Guttenberg and what he writes and says. By second group, I assume the ones who are not satisfied? I am now in first group who enjoy the music, but I still look for little things to improve against a benchmark sound (by listening to more expensive setups, live accoustic concerts).

(18-Oct-2019, 15:21)chrisc Wrote: I help run an audio club in Cape Town.  We have been fortunate to listen to many top-end systems (and most of them use Devialet electronics)

When the guys come to my house, we sit down and listen for 2 hours.
Then the suggestions come.  Some are obvious (reduce the bass), some not so (move the speaker a teeny bit) and some a bit over the top (use some van der Hul cable).  But its a useful exercise

We have also compiled a 40-track test program using many different sorts of music, and to let the audience think they have some say in the matter, let them choose tracks

There are favourites - Ry Cooder - Nobody; Nora Jones - Don't know why; Bela Flack - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo; Yuri Honing Trio - Walking on the Moon; Allan Taylor - Colour to the Moon

Must admit that I am a bit envious of those of you in the first group, especially if one belongs to an Audio Club in South Africa! Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
There has not been an audio show in South Africa for at least 10 years, so we (The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club) are planning one to take place in Cape Town, probably at the end of winter next year (July - August)

Lots to do but we have many contacts in the hospitality trade.  Cape Town is South Africa's no 1 holiday destination and visitors and the infrastructure are well catered for.

It won't be anything on the scale of the Munich or Bonn shows, we do not have the budget for it.  One essential is to promote South African audio products.  One fellow makes a superb turntable which sells for the equivalent of $30 000.00

[Image: WVRoEB7.jpg]
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(23-Oct-2019, 15:01)chrisc Wrote: There has not been an audio show in South Africa for at least 10 years, so we (The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club) are planning one to take place in Cape Town, probably at the end of winter next year (July - August)

Lots to do but we have many contacts in the hospitality trade.  Cape Town is South Africa's no 1 holiday destination and visitors and the infrastructure are well catered for.

It won't be anything on the scale of the Munich or Bonn shows, we do not have the budget for it.  One essential is to promote South African audio products.  One fellow makes a superb turntable which sells for the equivalent of $30 000.00

[Image: WVRoEB7.jpg]

Nice looking turntable and good luck with the show!