Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to configure the Expert 1000 to stream to Sonos?
Hi All,

I'm looking for configurator legends for this challenge. My wife really likes when I stream vinyl from the Devialet to the Sonos in her studio. When I had the Expert 250, I would do so by using the digital output in the 250 to connect to a cheap DAC which then connected to the Sonos Connect's analog inputs. It worked pretty well, although the Sonos connection would cut out from time to time.

However, the digital output which I was using to connect to the Sonos is now needed to connect to the companion 250. My master unit is using the other digital output to connect to a powered sub. So I still have the additional output on the Companion, however, I only have two options in the configurator for setting that output up. Either it can act as a Digital Input or Pre-amped Output. Given that it can be set to full frequency, it seems like I should be able to select Pre-Amped Output and make this sucker work. Interestingly, when I select the Pre-Amped Output option, the Configurator does not require the trig out connection between the Master and Companion. 

So here's what I've done. I connected the Pre-Amped out from the Companion to the cheap DAC to the Sonos. No go. Didn't work. Then I got a 1-Male to 2-Male RCA and connected directly between the Companion and the Connect. Also no dice. I have not yet connect the trig out of the Master to the Companion yet given the configurator did not require it, although I just ordered a cable to do so to see how that goes.

Has anyone else attempted to get an Expert 1000 streaming to Sonos? I'd love to hear how you did it!

Thanks!
Can you post screenshots of your config so we can have a better understanding of what you've done please?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(17-Aug-2019, 17:17)Dev_Steve Wrote: I connected the Pre-Amped out from the Companion to the cheap DAC to the Sonos. No go. Didn't work. Then I got a 1-Male to 2-Male RCA and connected directly between the Companion and the Connect.

Hi Steve, that output from the slave is an analog mono output. You would have to connect it directly to an analog input, I assume on the Connect. Connecting it to the DAC input wouldn't work because the DAC needs a digital input.

In configurator setting for that output, also check the "Variable level" setting. If it is set to Variable then the output will follow the volume set on your Devialet. If you want to control the Sonos volume separately then the output should not be set to variable.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
Triumph! So I did a bit of experimenting and now have vinyl streaming to the Sonos. hardcore was correct in that the output was indeed a mono analog. I had connected this output with a single male to dual male to the Sonos. I'm not sure why that didn't work before, but on this go-round with the configurator, I made sure that the connection between master and companion had Chaining Input selected on the Companion. That seems to have done the trick. Interesting note, the configurator still does not require any use of the trig out to have the Companion output be functional.

Mystery solved! Thanks for the help, everyone!