Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to connect forks to the Dev's speaker outputs?
Hi,

Just tried to connect some other speaker cables connected with Furutech forks and to my surprise wasn't able to do this. There is a plastic cover all around and the 'small' insertion hole is too small to fit these normal forks. What to do? Suggestions how the get round this issue?

Reason is that I want to biwire.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi again,

Just got an answer from Devialet! It will not work and they strongly advice to use bananas. Why? The answer is "formfactor".

Not a happy camper right now/M
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
This has been a "feature" since the D-Premier 4 years ago. It was mentioned in reviews. It has never been a problem for me since I just chose to use bananas. Once you have chosen such a slim amp spade connectors were never going to be possible.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

That plastic housing is just annoying and shrouding the connector such that most spades are unusable serves no useful purpose.
Yes it works…

Before my current speaker cables, I had MIT Spectral cables with large forks, and I was able to plug them to the Devialet connectors. It's possible :
- on the top of the connector, but you can't use the lid
- on the bottom of the connector, but you have to have a free space under the back of the amp…

So, it's true that it's better to have bananas, but only for esthetic reasons…!
The speaker connectors are the one thing I really don't like on my Devialet, they feel cheap and plastic... They really should upgrade to WBT nextgen or something similar which can take all sizes of spades and also sound better.
I agree with Ekmanc, that there are excellent solutions from both WBT and Furutech. These would be better quality (I am sure) and keep the form factor, even if the lid couldn't be used when 'forking'. I think that most of us run without the lid due to that the power cable connector doesn't allow it.

As my speaker cables are quite physical, and even if I manage to shoe horn in two cables in one banana, I am afraid the strain from the induced momentum on the Dev's connector will be too much.

It is definitely a flaw in the design/Mike
I haven't had a problem with speaker connectors since all my cables have bananas of one type or another at least on one end.
What does seem a shame is what seems to be a lowering of connector quality elsewhere. The D-Premier was a premium product and it was obvious that they would go down market a bit with the next model. What seems a shame to me, after 3+ years with D-Premier quality is the downgraded optical inputs and what seem to be inferior SD-card slots (maybe there is a bad batch). My D-Permier was -much- better and it seems to me that now fitting the same electronics PCB in their premium model as they do in the mid range model is a bit cheeky.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I found a way to use spade plugs with my D200.

What I did was I put a platform, (in my case a Symposium Segue isolation platform) under the Devialet to give it some elevation.

To make vertical clearance under the Devialet, I push the Devialet back so that the plugs are "hanging" out from the platform, as the platform is about 2", that leaves some space under for the spade plugs to get inserted.

I think a kitchen block would do just as well.
You're limited to a certain spade size due to the plastic housing. I'm trying some Entreqs right now that fit snugly, but I've tried Transparents in the past where there's no way on earth the spades would fit.
Got the unit on Stillpoints which is raising it nicely.