Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to distinguish a reactor 900 from a 600?
Hello there, fellow devialet enthusiast!
Thanks for letting me join. 
Like many of you i was lured into the devialet hype watching unboxing videos on the tube. 
It got me rather intrigued but so far the steep price has put me off. Until now that is. 
I have the oppurtunity to audition the smaller sibling: a reactor (supposably) 900 this tuesday and have the option to call it mine for a relatively reasonable 500 Euros. That's about 6-700 us i guesstimate. 
I would like to know, since the 2 are very akin how i can tell it is actually a 900w version and not the 600 " other than cranking it up while measuring Db's? 
Are there any markings on the speaker that would set it apart? Unfortunately the box it came in has gone and the warranty has or is about to, run out. 
Supposably it is free of cosmetic damage and working "just fine."
Any remarks on how to determine what I'm buying as well as other things to look, listen, out for are highly appreciated. 

Best regards, Ariën
Welcome to the forum.

Please have a look at this article
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...-or-Expert-
Also, from the serial number, you can find out when it was made
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Is-your-...o-find-out

Yes, I know it will cost more, but see whether you can get 2. A stereo pair is much better than a lonely one. If budget is limited, get two Reactor 600s rather one Reactor 900.
Those links where really helpfull, much abliged!
I made the purchase this morning, it was a 900watt version indeed so i did not hesitate.
Took it home, plugged it in and haven't been able to switch it off, 7 hrs later and counting .

I have to partially disagree about the stereo thingy:
Sure, it is nice to get submerged in the music you play, the second channel opening another dimension, placing you in the ambiance the music was recorded, as it were.
However this effect is not always desirable or practical. Listening in stereo is much more distracting then mono. This can be annoying at best for instance when listening ro music and having a conversation at the same time and hazardous performing other tasks like operating machinery while listening. This reactor will be on duty on my sailingboat whilst sailing, cooking, sewing sails doing odd jobs. So i keep the music "flat" and use both ears to pinpoint trouble in 3d, like a ripping sail or an approaching cargoship haha.
Apart from that i really think mono has an often overlooked appeal. Perhaps my ears are (over) sensitive to time delays and in mono there is none other than the distance between your both ears. I have found myself charmed by single speakers time and again. But.. for those, safely docked, listening sessions i might just get another egg!

Thanks again!
I completely agree about the mono vs stereo, and it's nice to see someone who's happy with a single speaker setup vs the default "only stereo will suffice" mindset.

Don't get me wrong, videos like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deFqIvkfLyE&t=194s have definitely made me hanker for a second 900w but your post has made me reconsider (plus my wife would most likely divorce me and the only room that makes sense is my tiny study, in which 2 900ws would probably be overkill) Big Grin

That's a really interesting point about getting distracted by stereo too, I'd not considered that. I've all but switched to Lo-Fi (https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3JrQzF...38ab6144aa) for most of my day-to-day listening, as - being a software developer - I'll take as much help in the concentration department as I can get!
(24-May-2021, 18:42)Zstarsky Wrote: I have to partially disagree about the stereo thingy:
(24-May-2021, 20:40)robreid Wrote: I completely agree about the mono vs stereo, and it's nice to see someone who's happy with a single speaker setup vs the default "only stereo will suffice" mindset.
Unless you have tried a stereo pair, it is easy to dismiss the default on the forum that "a stereo pair is better than a lonely one". ** Believe me, I am not the only one on the forum saying this...
(25-May-2021, 04:23)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(24-May-2021, 18:42)Zstarsky Wrote: I have to partially disagree about the stereo thingy:
(24-May-2021, 20:40)robreid Wrote: I completely agree about the mono vs stereo, and it's nice to see someone who's happy with a single speaker setup vs the default "only stereo will suffice" mindset.
Unless you have tried a stereo pair, it is easy to dismiss the default on the forum that "a stereo pair is better than a lonely one". ** Believe me, I am not the only one on the forum saying this...

+1
(25-May-2021, 07:15)Johnnydev Wrote:
(25-May-2021, 04:23)Snoopy8 Wrote:

+1

+11
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
OMG guys, am I really reading a debate on mono VS stereo on an audiophile forum?
How many ears does the OP have?
I'm very new to this forum (2nd day), and from what I read as a guest, there's a mix of people discussing things from an audiophile's perspective and others just celebrating the Phantom range. So I wouldn't (personally) consider this exclusively a forum for audiophiles.

While I'm certainly not an audiophile, I love the Phantoms. I can obviously appreciate the difference between mono and stereo but am not in a position to buy a second Phantom at the moment. So will continue to enjoy my Phantom in mono in the meantime.
I have single Reactor in my bedroom and no need to get a second one - it is great and another one would be a waste of money for the need. 

I had one Golden in my living room and while great, it was not until I got the second one that I can say - Wow.

This is to say, for primary listening - stereo is the way to go, and it should be the goal, when the budget allows - they're not cheap.