Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get the best Phono Signal?
(17-Sep-2019, 20:44)Greg Wrote:
(16-Sep-2019, 17:19)MrJellyLord Wrote: So we all (well, most) know Devialet's phono has unacceptable amounts of hiss i.c.w. LOMC.
I mentioned it many times to Devialet dealers and they all reply "we know", but still no solution in sight...
I love my Devialet, yet I never recommend the brand to fellow vinyl lovers, because I know how frustrating it is. Sad

Today I had the chance to try an optical cartridge at home.
It comes with its own phono preamp and is connected to line input.
It produces an absolutely gorgeous, marvellously detailed and controlled sound that can compete with the best MC's.
Best of all - absolutely no hiss!
This might actually be a great alternative to avoid the whole Devialet faulty phono preamp problem. I for one am very tempted and am seriously considering the purchase of an optical cartridge... TBC!
Sorry, don’t understand your abbreviations even after a google search so i.c.w. and LOMC means nothing to me. TBC only comes out as ‘To be confirmed’ and I’m not sure of the relevance there.

Reading up on optical cartridges, they certainly seem to be the way to go but at the moment the prices are so high, they are outside of my wallets boundaries. Maybe when a few more companies start selling them the price will be more affordable (I hope so). Certainly a no hiss option into Devialet must be the way to go. My current set up (see signature) works, has no hiss and is for me, affordable. I’ll watch the development of optical cartridges with interest. Thank you for the ‘heads up’.
Hey Greg,

ROFL.

i.c.w. = in combination with
LOMC = low output moving coil
TBC = to be continued (as in; I am considering the future purchase of an optical cartridge to finally do away with the hiss of the devialet, so my battle with the Devialet phono "continues").

HTH?

MJL
Devialet 120 - Wilson Sophia - Technics SL-1000 - Rega Apollo - Chromecast
Hi all,

As one of the original “hiss sufferers” I have finally landed in a place where it’s sorted to my satisfaction!

After trying a DV75 and a Trilogy 906, I was lucky enough to find a Music First Audio 632 Step-up transformer s/hand and have just installed it.

With the provisio that you have to use a shielded cable into the amp, I have to say it sounds stunning into the Devialet MM stage. The other external stages into the line input never had the life and dynamics of the built-in MC stage - even with the hiss - so I was always curious to try a good SUT. And the MFA delivers - in spades - the sound has all the vibrancy and dynamics I hoped for and does so without any hiss.

This is with an Apheta 2 on an RP8.

So - for frustrated vinyl lovers with an Expert Pro - don’t lose heart, try one of these step-ups. I’d be amazed if it didn’t impresss you!
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland