Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to have a reliable setup?
Hi.

My dad and I were both lusting after the phantoms. He passed away recently.

I was intending to use a pair at his funeral to play some of his favourite music. When I trialled them before in CA, we had trouble getting two to stay connected.

I'm worried about technical issues in the day. I only get to do this once.

Can someone advise the most robust way to get them to play?

A
(02-Feb-2016, 11:15)booshtukka Wrote: Hi.

I was intending to use a pair at his funeral to play some of his favourite music. When I trialled them before in CA, we had trouble getting two to stay connected.

A
Sorry for your loss. Use Ethernet cables between them. Should not be any instability then.

A

Sorry to hear about your Dad. In my set-up which is 2 weeks old, I have not experienced a single problem with 2 Phantoms and a Dialog. The Dialog is plumbed directly into the router and the 2 Phantoms are wireless. It is rock solid even playing hi-res 192/24 files. I know other experiences differ but some of those experiences relate to older firmwares, and things apparently have improved in recent releases. My volume remote has never dropped out once either.
(02-Feb-2016, 13:21)jonstatt Wrote:

A

Sorry to hear about your Dad. In my set-up which is 2 weeks old, I have not experienced a single problem with 2 Phantoms and a Dialog. The Dialog is plumbed directly into the router and the 2 Phantoms are wireless. It is rock solid even playing hi-res 192/24 files. I know other experiences differ but some of those experiences relate to older firmwares, and things apparently have improved in recent releases. My volume remote has never dropped out once either.

To make sure you have no issues I would have a backup plan - using direct optical in to one phantom from a laptop
Sorry for your dad.
I have Dialog and 2 Phantoms working perfectly, but here are some plan B for funeral:
1/ toslink cable between your mac laptop and Phantom (make sure that your mac has an optical output). In this case you won't need Dialog
2/ BlueTooth (you won't need spark)

Envoyé de mon Phantom en utilisant Gecko
(02-Feb-2016, 11:38)eibet Wrote:

A
Sorry for your loss. Use Ethernet cables between them. Should not be any instability then.

Ethernet between the 2 phantoms or from 2 phantoms and dialog to the router ?
Yes - sorry to hear about your dad.

Ethernet is reliable and fool proof.

But the best wireless configuration I've had was when I made a wireless network with an apple airport extreme using 5Ghz frequency. The goal was to just make an internal network that didn't need internet etc. so I could simply stream my iTunes library. So I disconnected my router from the system completely. I enabled the AE to handle DHCP and NAT. I then unplugged everything, connected an ethernet cable between dialogue and AE and started up the AE (waited till it restarted fully), then dialogue (then pressed button three times on back to reset), then phantoms (when on I pressed button three times on back on each of them). I then went through the setup as usual from the iMac.   I had no internet access of course with this system but the network was rock solid and spark found it more or less instantly.

The main problems, for me at least, seem to come when you have a poor router. It also seems that most ISP supplied routers are terrible unless they can be put into 'bridge mode.' Unfortunately mine doesn't allow this so I just disconnected it for a while from the sound system and everything became solid and good.

Hopefully there will be some time to test before the funeral.
(02-Feb-2016, 21:35)Delhayek Wrote:
(02-Feb-2016, 11:38)eibet Wrote:

A

Ethernet between the 2 phantoms or from 2 phantoms and dialog to the router ?
Ethernet from both phantoms and dialog to a switch. This way you will remove any chance that they fail or drop out when the network gets overloaded by MB's.
Thanks so much for everyone's help. I'm just ordered two silvers and a dialog, and I'll use an AirPort Extreme as a switch.

I'll let you know how I get on.