Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to improve Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ?
(17-Apr-2018, 09:52)PeppaPig Wrote: Hi Confused, you said the Devialet internal clock is a very low jitter clock, is that means if I use Mac mini USB into Devialet’s USB, I don’t need Mutec MC-3 in the middle as there is no benefit?

As usual, it's not quite that simple.

Bear in mind that the MC3+USB connects to the Devialet via the AES/EBU input, not USB.  It's reasonably well established, I'd venture to say, that using the Devialet's AES/EBU input in itself can provide a sound quality improvement over the USB input (though some have said the gap might have been closed in the Pro models).  At least, using AES/EBU is easier to get to sound good than USB.  So part of the benefit of the MC3+USB is, I think, down to the fact that it converts from USB to AES/EBU with very good isolation to prevent the usual USB "nasties" reaching the Devialet.  This may be just as important a factor as the fact that it provides a very clean, low-jitter clock to the Devialet's AES/EBU input.

Most people who've tried it, myself included, feel that using the MC3+USB in this way provides a noticeable improvement in sound quality when compared to a direct USB connection from something like a Mac Mini.  Whether you "need it" or not is a matter of judgement and so very much a personal decision.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(17-Apr-2018, 10:35)thumb5 Wrote:
(17-Apr-2018, 09:52)PeppaPig Wrote: Hi Confused, you said the Devialet internal clock is a very low jitter clock, is that means if I use Mac mini USB into Devialet’s USB, I don’t need Mutec MC-3 in the middle as there is no benefit?

As usual, it's not quite that simple.

Bear in mind that the MC3+USB connects to the Devialet via the AES/EBU input, not USB.  It's reasonably well established, I'd venture to say, that using the Devialet's AES/EBU input in itself can provide a sound quality improvement over the USB input (though some have said the gap might have been closed in the Pro models).  At least, using AES/EBU is easier to get to sound good than USB.  So part of the benefit of the MC3+USB is, I think, down to the fact that it converts from USB to AES/EBU with very good isolation to prevent the usual USB "nasties" reaching the Devialet.  This may be just as important a factor as the fact that it provides a very clean, low-jitter clock to the Devialet's AES/EBU input.

Most people who've tried it, myself included, feel that using the MC3+USB in this way provides a noticeable improvement in sound quality when compared to a direct USB connection from something like a Mac Mini.  Whether you "need it" or not is a matter of judgement and so very much a personal decision.

Thanks mate. Does the type of USB cable matters? As it’s digital, different USB cable shouldn’t matter much?
@PeppaPig -Have you ever tried AIR? If you would like some idea as to what a Mutec MC3+USB sounds like via AES/EBU, why not try your Mac Mini via Devialet AIR? The Mutec is arguably a fraction better, but with the Pro models I have found that feeding the Devialet via a Mutec MC3+USB and feeding a Devialet via AIR do actually sound very similar. AIR could very well sound quite a bit better than USB direct from a Mac Mini, this will be system dependent, but it is something you can try for little or no cost.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(17-Apr-2018, 11:08)Confused Wrote: @PeppaPig -Have you ever tried AIR? If you would like some idea as to what a Mutec MC3+USB sounds like via AES/EBU, why not try your Mac Mini via Devialet AIR? The Mutec is arguably a fraction better, but with the Pro models I have found that feeding the Devialet via a Mutec MC3+USB and feeding a Devialet via AIR do actually sound very similar. AIR could very well sound quite a bit better than USB direct from a Mac Mini, this will be system dependent, but it is something you can try for little or no cost.

Hi Confused, when you said feed the Devialet via Air, so you mean use USB cable connect the Mac and Devialet and then install the Air driver and choose Air as default output device?? I think this is the only for Mac to play on Devialet right? Except wireless. What do you mean by better than USB direct from Mac mini? Isn’t Air via USB is USB direct???

I tried Air via USB, I don’t feel any distinct better than via AirPlay to Devialet.
(17-Apr-2018, 11:59)PeppaPig Wrote:
(17-Apr-2018, 11:08)Confused Wrote: @PeppaPig  -Have you ever tried AIR?  If you would like some idea as to what a Mutec MC3+USB sounds like via AES/EBU, why not try your Mac Mini via Devialet AIR?  The Mutec is arguably a fraction better, but with the Pro models I have found that feeding the Devialet via a Mutec MC3+USB and feeding a Devialet via AIR do actually sound very similar.  AIR could very well sound quite a bit better than USB direct from a Mac Mini, this will be system dependent, but it is something you can try for little or no cost.

Hi Confused, when you said feed the Devialet via Air, so you mean use USB cable connect the Mac and Devialet and then install the Air driver and choose Air as default output device??  I think this is the only for Mac to play on Devialet right? Except wireless. What do you mean by better than USB direct from Mac mini? Isn’t Air via USB is USB direct???

I tried Air via USB, I don’t feel any distinct better than via AirPlay to Devialet.

Devialet AIR is an Ethernet protocol.  It can be used by hard wired Ethernet, or alternatively by Wi-Fi.  AIR  will not work via USB.

Some light reading below:

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...vialet-Air-
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(17-Apr-2018, 13:04)Confused Wrote:
(17-Apr-2018, 11:59)PeppaPig Wrote:
(17-Apr-2018, 11:08)Confused Wrote: @PeppaPig  -Have you ever tried AIR?  If you would like some idea as to what a Mutec MC3+USB sounds like via AES/EBU, why not try your Mac Mini via Devialet AIR?  The Mutec is arguably a fraction better, but with the Pro models I have found that feeding the Devialet via a Mutec MC3+USB and feeding a Devialet via AIR do actually sound very similar.  AIR could very well sound quite a bit better than USB direct from a Mac Mini, this will be system dependent, but it is something you can try for little or no cost.

Hi Confused, when you said feed the Devialet via Air, so you mean use USB cable connect the Mac and Devialet and then install the Air driver and choose Air as default output device??  I think this is the only for Mac to play on Devialet right? Except wireless. What do you mean by better than USB direct from Mac mini? Isn’t Air via USB is USB direct???

Devialet AIR is an Ethernet protocol.  It can be used by hard wired Ethernet, or alternatively by Wi-Fi.  AIR  will not work via USB.

Some light reading below:

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...vialet-Air-

Ahh.. I tried the air via wireless but never try Ethernet because I can’t get direct Ethernet connection working, I think it’s a bug in their firmware... do you found wired sound any better than wireless?? I use AirExpress connected to Devialet’s Ethernet cable so the WiFi speed is super fast.
@PeppaPig And so how was the sound quality of AIR via Wifi?

I am using an ethernet connection to my Devialet and using AIR and sound quality was comparable to using a device such as a microRendu (this comparison was over a year ago and I have since sold the microRendue given that fact).

I concur with Confused's guidance and that of others.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US