Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set up a quality 3.1 home cinema solution?
A query on how to maximize my D250 in home cinema setup. Currently I have good results in 2.0 mode thru my Panasonic plasma TV optical out, streaming Netflix directly into my D250 optical in (the new ICM mode is quite helpful). However this set up falls short of the best home cinema I have heard... I don't miss the 2 back surround channels, however I do find the clarity of voices and overall balance to be subpar.  
Any suggestions to improve the Devialet SQ in 2.0 home cinema?
> Has anyone experience with 3.1 solutions based on the D250? Particularly keen to understand how to integrate a central channel into my setup for improved HC experience 

Thanks!

Main system (listening room 5x7m): Oppo bdp93, Panasonic Plasma Viera 60", Auralic Aries, PTT Lenco L75 with Schiick arm and Lyra Delos, Devialet 250, Lawrence audio double bass speakers, Sablon cables, Franck audio resonators / Schuman wave. Qobuz HD and Netflix/DVD's.   
Other rooms: 2 silver phantom + dialog; Toshiba sd900e + Denon AVR4500, Sonus Faber Home central + SW + 2 wall speakers; April audio Viva v2 + Boenicke W5SE; Sonos 1/3/5's.
I would also be interested in ways to improve sound (even with ICM on, voices are not always clear or not loud enough).
I too use optical sound from TV (TV)

Thanks
Strange. I too use optical out of my TV and without ICM it sounds clear as a bell. Even to the point that you're starting to hear the stuff they don't expect you to hear on live TV shows (background studio noise) and I sometimes wonder if I really want that high a resolution for day to day TV watching.
GTX, your ribbon tweeters should be clear as daylight if set up right. Is it really that bad? And if it is, then how does it compare with music / singing?

On a side note. There's a doco on Nina Simone on Netflix that's well worth watching. Somewhere in the first half hour, there's a really low thump that probably wasn't audible to the mastering engineer, otherwise they would have removed it.... I love how SAM made my tiny C1 go so low. Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Pim, thanks for sharing your experience. The ribbon tweeters are indeed one of the best features of the double bass and sing beautifully when playing music. In PCM home cinema, the highs are still very good, however I don't get the separation between voice and background noise / music that the best home cinema systems do. Results is good but at times voices are difficult to understand and overall soundstage is subpar. Suggestions on how to improve are welcome. Which model of optical speaker cable are folks using with good results?
(28-Jan-2016, 00:55)GTX Wrote: Pim, thanks for sharing your experience. The ribbon tweeters are indeed one of the best features of the double bass and sing beautifully when playing music. In PCM home cinema, the highs are still very good, however I don't get the separation between voice and background noise / music that the best home cinema systems do. Results is good but at times voices are difficult to understand and overall soundstage is subpar.  Suggestions on how to improve are welcome. Which model of optical speaker cable are folks using with good results?

My optical cable is Emotiva; $30.- or whatever delivered all the way from the good old USA. No need to waste more money on an optical cable. How's your speaker set up? I've worked long and hard on my set up and always put the quality of voices on the top of my list. If the voices on music sound natural, then so should your home cinema. 

If you still believe you need to spend lots of money on cables, maybe this will stop you:

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5540

It's Mark Waldrep, proving Audioquest are a bunch of thieves. Read the comment of Marshall Guthrie, third one down. It's an eye opener.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
The problem with Tv-sound is the algorithm of the DSP inside the TV downsampling the 5.1 channels to 2.0 /2.1/3.1. There are losses and artefacts especially in volume of each channel. On some TV you have a bunch of options in the menu of the sound output (dynamic compression etc.) Try that. Else, in this case, it's not the cables. Don't spend money on that for the bad volume/DSP-channel-separation.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin