Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to set up multi-room Phantoms via ethernet?
I have the following system I want to set up in a newly renovated house using a Dialogue, two Gold Phantoms and a Silver Phantom. However, I'd appreciate advice on precisely what I need to connect to what!

NORTH ROOM
Two Golds.
Two ethernet outlets.

SOUTH ROOM
One Silver
Two ethernet outlets.
Airport Express (connected to one ethernet outlet)

CENTRAL CUPBOARD (locating between N and S ROOMS)
Modem (Netgear Nighthawk -- supplied by my telco)
Router (Apple Airport Extreme)
Dialog
Ethernet panel

My question is whether the chain should look like this?

CUPBOARD
Dialog to Modem (by ethernet)
Modem to Router (by ethernet)
Router to ethernet panel (by ethernet)

NORTH ROOM
Simply connect each Gold to its ethernet port

SOUTH ROOM
Should I connect the Airport Express to one ethernet port, and the single Silver to the other?
OR
Should I connect the Airport Express to one ethernet port, and the single Silver to the Airport Express (by ethernet)?

I'm moving on Wednesday, so advice much appreciated!

Andrew
Connect the Silver to your router, not via the Airport Express.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(22-Jan-2018, 11:35)ragwo Wrote: Connect the Silver to your router, not via the Airport Express.

Do you mean connect the Silver to the router via ethernet? Thanks.

Andrew
(22-Jan-2018, 02:52)Uandrewhollo Wrote: I have the following system I want to set up in a newly renovated house using a Dialogue, two Gold Phantoms and a Silver Phantom. However, I'd appreciate advice on precisely what I need to connect to what!

NORTH ROOM
Two Golds.
Two ethernet outlets.

SOUTH ROOM
One Silver
Two ethernet outlets.
Airport Express (connected to one ethernet outlet)

CENTRAL CUPBOARD (locating between N and S ROOMS)
Modem (Netgear Nighthawk -- supplied by my telco)
Router (Apple Airport Extreme)
Dialog
Ethernet panel

My question is whether the chain should look like this?

CUPBOARD
Dialog to Modem (by ethernet)
Modem to Router (by ethernet)
Router to ethernet panel (by ethernet)

NORTH ROOM
Simply connect each Gold to its ethernet port

SOUTH ROOM
Should I connect the Airport Express to one ethernet port, and the single Silver to the other?
OR
Should I connect the Airport Express to one ethernet port, and the single Silver to the Airport Express (by ethernet)?

I'm moving on Wednesday, so advice much appreciated!

Andrew

I can not understand Why you have the AirPort Express If you have the netgear nighthawk

Go from the nighthawk with a ethernetcable to a switch and connect then all your phantoms and dialog with ethernetcables to this switch.
(22-Jan-2018, 13:21)andrewhollo Wrote:
(22-Jan-2018, 11:35)ragwo Wrote: Connect the Silver to your router, not via the Airport Express.

Do you mean connect the Silver to the router via ethernet? Thanks.

Andrew

If there's no specific reason for you to use an Airport Extreme I support Johnnydev's proposal. If you use a switch connected to the Nighthawk you can get rid of the Airport Extreme and wire the Dialog and Phantoms directly to the switch via ethernet.
My Phantom Voyage
Yes, there is a reason I need the Airport Extreme. The house is long and narrow and I use it to distribute the wifi signal throughout the house, along with 2 x Airport Expresses. JohnnyDev and Ragwo: as the Nighthawk has just one ethernet port, and I need BOTH Dialog and Nighthawk connecting to the Airport Extreme; I can't see another way to bypass. And, why would I want to?
(23-Jan-2018, 00:34)andrewhollo Wrote: Yes, there is a reason I need the Airport Extreme. The house is long and narrow and I use it to distribute the wifi signal throughout the house, along with 2 x Airport Expresses. JohnnyDev and Ragwo: as the Nighthawk has just one ethernet port, and I need BOTH Dialog and Nighthawk connecting to the Airport Extreme; I can't see another way to bypass. And, why would I want to?

You seem to be clear in what you need. So please stop asking others for advice. I am sure that they have better things to do than serve your ego.
(23-Jan-2018, 01:59)Gremlin Wrote:
(23-Jan-2018, 00:34)andrewhollo Wrote: Yes, there is a reason I need the Airport Extreme. The house is long and narrow and I use it to distribute the wifi signal throughout the house, along with 2 x Airport Expresses. JohnnyDev and Ragwo: as the Nighthawk has just one ethernet port, and I need BOTH Dialog and Nighthawk connecting to the Airport Extreme; I can't see another way to bypass. And, why would I want to?

You seem to be clear in what you need. So please stop asking others for advice. I am sure that they have better things to do than serve your ego.

you're right. and he also tells nonsense. a nighthawk has at least 4 ethernet ports.
The Netgear Nighthawk I have has only one port: https://goo.gl/9pKJPL

I appreciate the help, thanks.

Andrew

Does the Airport Extreme act as a bridge or does it manage ip addresses? If it manages ip addresses both the Dialog and the Phantoms should be connected to the Extreme. In the south room I would connect the Phantom directly to the Extreme, less boxes in the chain is always better, but IMHO.
My Phantom Voyage