Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypex /other alternative to expert d200?
Was considering going back to passives after Gold Phantom and Kii Three, and started listing after a d200

But as I already have a Hugo DAC, and don’t need a phono stage / myriad of other inputs, I am wondering if I am spending a lot of money on features I won’t use just to have a nice shiny ornament Smile

So purely in terms of sound - what options are out the for similar small / powerful power amps at up to £2k used?

Or maybe integrated with a good DAC?

Was looking at some of the prebuilt Hypex amps that seem good value for money...

Thanks Smile
(29-Dec-2019, 12:14)Jamington2004 Wrote: Was considering going back to passives after Gold Phantom and Kii Three, and started listing after a d200

But as I already have a Hugo DAC, and don’t need a phono stage / myriad of other inputs, I am wondering if I am spending a lot of money on features I won’t use just to have a nice shiny ornament Smile

So purely in terms of sound - what options are out the for similar small / powerful power amps at up to £2k used?

Or maybe integrated with a good DAC?

Was looking at some of the prebuilt Hypex amps that seem good value for money...

Thanks Smile

I would take a look at amps based on Purifi's new 1ET400A module which is now staring to hit the market in commercial products such as the Nord Acoustics range, where a stereo chassis can be had for about £2k new.  Google around and you'll find some very interesting articles about this new amplifier module which is by all accounts pretty innovative.  It's kind of "next generation Hypex".
Nice thanks will check it out
The new amp models of Bruno Putzeys will be featured in the NAD M33 which should come in spring. In fact, it will be the first amplifier featuring these modules and it will also have Dirac.

https://nadelectronics.com/nad-masters-m...echnology/

Looking forward to hear it.
I sold a NAD M2 4+ years ago when I switched to Devialet. No reqrets at all, but... NAD is certainly not resting on its laurels and that M33 sounds damn interesting. I do hope Devialet hasn't given up on progressing the state of the Expert Pro line because the competition will certainly pass it by if so.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(10-Jan-2020, 17:51)Stino Wrote:  In fact, it will be the first amplifier featuring these modules 

Actually I think you will find that there are quite a few commercial products already available based on the 1ET400A modules, including the aforementioned Nord Acoustics, Mivera Audio, and a bunch of others I have read about but am unsure if they are actually shipping yet.  Agree however that NAD is the first mainstream brand to feature these modules and that the M33 looks like a super-interesting product.
I went through a few alternatives before the Devialet.

From: NAD C390DD - based on the Zetex DDFA "Direct Digital" tech which some call a PWM power DAC, similar to the M2 and M32 and M51 DAC - Sounded amazing for the money, far better than the mid-range class AB amps I used before.

To: NAD C390DD as Pre-DAC with an M22 as Power Amp - An improvement, the M22 Hypex NCore amp was better in every way, most noticeably sweeter highs, more airy, more control, more detail. Big differences even with the same Direct Digital DAC as before.

To: Devialet 250 Pro - Overall more refined sound, even more detailed, more controlled bass, sweeter.

All systems benefit from an external USB-to-SPDIF converter, as my source is a PC. The Devialet has a great built-in streamer, and needs a really good external source to sound better.

The M33 with the successor to Hypex NCore sounds interesting, but coming from the M22 which was Hypex based, I prefer the more refined sound of the Devialet Pro.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(11-Jan-2020, 11:26)hardcore Wrote: I went through a few alternatives before the Devialet.

From: NAD C390DD - based on the Zetex DDFA "Direct Digital" tech which some call a PWM power DAC, similar to the M2 and M32 and M51 DAC - Sounded amazing for the money, far better than the mid-range class AB amps I used before.

To: NAD C390DD as Pre-DAC with an M22 as Power Amp - An improvement, the M22 Hypex NCore amp was better in every way, most noticeably sweeter highs, more airy, more control, more detail. Big differences even with the same Direct Digital DAC as before.

To: Devialet 250 Pro - Overall more refined sound, even more detailed, more controlled bass, sweeter.

All systems benefit from an external USB-to-SPDIF converter, as my source is a PC. The Devialet has a great built-in streamer, and needs a really good external source to sound better.

The M33 with the successor to Hypex NCore sounds interesting, but coming from the M22 which was Hypex based, I prefer the more refined sound of the Devialet Pro.
The M33 will have totally new amplification: the Purifi Eigentakt module.  Until we hear the unit, I’d be cautious to make any comparisons to Devialet products.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(17-Jan-2020, 07:36)Flashman Wrote:
(11-Jan-2020, 11:26)hardcore Wrote: The M33 with the successor to Hypex NCore sounds interesting, but coming from the M22 which was Hypex based, I prefer the more refined sound of the Devialet Pro.
The M33 will have totally new amplification: the Purifi Eigentakt module.  Until we hear the unit, I’d be cautious to make any comparisons to Devialet products.
It will certainly will be interesting to hear what this new amplifier can do. I remember being blown away by the improvements in successive generations of class D amplification.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(10-Jan-2020, 18:56)mdconnelly Wrote: I sold a NAD M2 4+ years ago when I switched to Devialet.  No reqrets at all, but... NAD is certainly not resting on its laurels and that M33 sounds damn interesting.  I do hope Devialet hasn't given up on progressing the state of the Expert Pro line because the competition will certainly pass it by if so.

Not looking too good on the development aspect regarding the expert models @mdconnelly. I had contact with Devialet recently, and this is their answer:

Yukari (Devialet)
Jan 16, 09:52 CET

Dear Daan Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate your positive feedback.
Unfortunately, according to our engineer, currently, they are not working on the new generation. Also, I haven't heard any updates regarding new models.
However, you can upgrade to 220Pro if you would like to. If you are interested in it, you can simply order from your account page.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands